|Manga||Volume #15, Chapter #129|
|Anime||Naruto Episode #50|
|Game||Naruto: Rise of a Ninja|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game|
|Academy Grad. Age||11|
|Chūnin Prom. Age||16|
Well, basically he was a stupid fag all his life; looked like a girl, but was in actuality nothing but a trap. This even got him in trouble on occasion, when he was undressing in the boys' locker room in Shinobi High as some students - who hadn't jerked their meat in a while - decided to use Yashamaru's body to please themselves, seeing that he was the next best thing to a girl they could get a hold of.
The test became a suicide mission after Yashamaru was gravely injured by Gaara's Sand Binding Coffin. He lied to Gaara, telling him that he hated him and that his sister gave him his name from the phrase "a self-loving carnage" (我を愛する修羅, Ware o aisuru shura) to reflect the undying hatred she felt towards the village, rather than out of love for her son. Yashamaru then told Gaara that nobody would ever love him, and then detonated a series of explosive tags hidden within his flack jacket in an attempt to take Gaara with him. Yashamaru's cruel words and his suicide caused Gaara to become a sociopath and even more of an emotional wreck than he already was.
It would only be years later during the Fourth Shinobi World War that Gaara learned the truth of the mission he was given and that he had in fact lied to him about his mother under direct orders from the Fourth Kazekage.
Yashamaru was a very warm, devoted, and caring person who loved his sister Karura, above all. Under the test set by the Fourth Kazekage, Yashamaru claimed that he tried to love Gaara, but could never let go of the fact Karura died giving birth to him. In reality, he was the only person to understand Gaara's accidental attacks on the villagers, and tried to persuade others to understand as well, while teaching the young man about love, and pain. He was also willing to sacrifice his own life in order to test out Gaara's control over Shukaku, acting as though he was unforgiving and murderous towards his nephew, and always hated him, ending their relationship with bitter and aloof lies.
The person Yashamaru truly hated was his brother-in-law, the Fourth Kazekage, for implanting Shukaku within Gaara while still in his sister, and thus taking away Karura's life. However, as an ANBU and the right-hand man of the Kazekage, Yashamaru still did as he was ordered, even acting as to betray his own nephew.
Yashamaru bore a striking, if not identical resemblance to his sister with his sandy brown hair and big, blue eyes, which made him look somewhat feminine. He was usually seen in a simple kimono held closed by a sash along with an apron with the Sunagakure village symbol at the top which he wore optionally. He also wore bandages around his head. As an ANBU, he donned the traditional uniform of the Sunagakure-nin which included a turban, the village's forehead protector, flak jacket as well as a cloth that hid the lower half of his face, leaving only his eyes visible.
As a medical-nin, Yashamaru was very adept at manipulating chakra, as seen with him controlling kunai in mid-air. He was also an ANBU and the right-hand man of the Kazekage, which further exemplifies his strength.
- Yashamaru's name, 夜叉丸, is composed of three Kanji. The first two, Yasha (夜叉) refer to creatures in Japanese mythology known as Yaksha. The Hindu version of the Yaksha usually portray them as having two sides: a darker, more sinister side, and a benevolent, lovable side. Yashamaru's betrayal could be a reference to this "dark side" of Yaksha. Maru (丸) is a common ending for male names.
- According to the databook(s):
- Yashamaru's favourite word was "affection" (愛情, aijō).
- Yashamaru had completed 734 official missions in total: 384 D-rank, 240 C-rank, 96 B-rank, 14 A-rank, 0 S-rank.
- Yashamaru, along with many other deceased characters within the Naruto series, made a cameo in the ending omake of Shippūden episode 129.
- The second databook initially listed Yashamaru as a chūnin but in chapter 548, he was stated to be an ANBU.
- In the Polish, Portuguese, French, Brazilian and Italian versions of the Naruto manga, Yashamaru is portrayed as female rather than male. Even in the anime, there is no clear indication of his gender, despite the fact that he is voiced by a man in both Japanese and English versions.
- (To Gaara) "A wound of a heart is different from a flesh wound. Unlike a flesh wound, there are no ointments to heal it, and there are times when they never heal."
- (Last words to Gaara) "This is it. Please die."