Water Release (水遁, Suiton; English TV "Water Style") is one of the basic elemental nature transformation techniques that allow the user to manipulate pre-existing water, or create their own, by turning their chakra into water. It takes much more ability to create the water outside the body than to manipulate what is already available or expel it from their mouths. One of the most versatile of the five basic chakra natures, Water Release techniques can not only change shape but state as well. Moreover, the water becomes more solid in the process as well. The water affinity is seemingly more common amongst shinobi of Kirigakure. Offensive water techniques seem to inflict harm from the sudden force that they exert, which would cause massive internal damage to a human.
Relationship with other Natures
- Water is strong against fire because it naturally extinguishes the flames (though a sufficiently powerful fire technique can cause evaporation) but is weak against earth because earth structures can dissipate the force of water rendering the technique ineffective.
- Water Release can be used in conjunction with Lightning Release to increase the flow of electricity thus increasing damage taken by the target.
- Additionally, it can be used with Wind Release to increase the concussive and overall destructive power of a water technique.
- Water-natured chakra is a component of the following kekkei genkai: Ice Release, Wood Release, Storm Release, and Boil Release.
- Water Release parallels the real-life ninja art "suiton-no-jutsu". One example of real-life suiton-no-jutsu is Ukigusa-gakure: the practice of throwing duckweed over water in order to conceal underwater movement.
- The Hōzuki clan also utilises a technique known as the Hydrification Technique, allowing them to convert their own bodies into water; this gives them an additional weakness against lightning techniques, as water conducts electricity.
- Tobirama Senju is considered to be the most powerful Water Release user to have ever existed because of his ability to create powerful water release techniques in areas where there was no source of water at all.
- Utakata's Soap Bubble Ninjutsu is a variation of Water Release.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 15, page 9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 373, page 11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 316, page 4
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Naruto chapter 120, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 256, page 3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 336, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 508, page 3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 506, page 6
- ↑ Naruto chapter 15, pages 16-18
- ↑ Naruto chapter 120, page 5
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 146
- ↑ Naruto chapter 461, page 2
- ↑ Naruto chapter 337, page 16