And you obviously hasen't been around here for long. Since I came here this wiki has been using the english spelling, like Hyuga instead of Hyuuga and so on. Dantman can explain this better then me. And if the admins should change their mind, I will leave your edits alone. But until then, I will keep the pages as they have been form the begining. Jacce 07:51, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
Re:Names Need To Be Corrected Edit
Because Dantman is very busy man I will respond to this message myself. *clears throat* Anyway, the use of "uu" or "ou" in names is a Japanese thing sure, which when used in English can (and does) become ū and ō respectively. However, this is an English Speaking wiki, therefore ū and ō become simply "u" and "o" instead of "uu/ū" and "oo/o". Its really just that simple unless Dantman does come and explain it himself. Thank you.TheUltimate3 11:49, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
- Hyuuga is wrong for multiple reasons:
- Hyuuga is modified hepburn romanization, we use revised hepburn. In revised hepburn ū is the same as using uu in modified hepburn. We use revised hepburn because ū indicates that Hyūga has the spelling "Hyuga", but is pronounced "Hyuuga". Hyuuga as text is bad for writing as that is the pronunciation, not the spelling, it ends up confusing people into thinking that the pronunciation is how to spell the word.
- Because of the extra work it is to write the macrons (the line over the u in ū), we drop the macrons in plain writing. That's why Jugo is written Jugo in normal page writing instead of using Jūgo. This is fine because ū is merely a pronunciation guide and only needs to show up on the first use in his page.
- The Hyuga clan has appeared inside of the English series already. Therefore we are NOT using the japanese Hyūga. We are using "Hyuga" the official English spelling of the name.
- I guess that you are getting your name sources from a dub or scanalation? Do understand that they almost never translate things correctly. They aim for quick viewer friendly translations, they don't translate fully, and use modified hepburn rather than encyclopedic revised hepburn because macrons may not always show up correctly in a video player's subtitles.
- ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Sep 11, 2008 @ 14:00 (UTC)
- We are an English Encyclopedia (read, official information source, not fan site). So yes, the community did decide that we should use the official English names for characters instead of mixing Japanese in with English.
- Whether or not you like Viz is off the topic, they provide the canon English names for things. And they aren't doing all that bad with naruto. 99% of the names are the same as the romanization of their Japanese name. Hyuga is still Hyuga, Sauske is still Sauske, Naruto is still Naruto, Kakashi is still Kakashi, Orochimaru is still Orochimaru, and so on... Same goes for Rock Lee, and as for Might Guy/Maito Gai, Kishimoto himself made the decision on naming the character Might Guy in English. But it's not really a debate I care to continue with. All I care about, is what helps the wiki. And a debate on what names fans like is not going to help the wiki, because encyclopedia are based on facts, not opinions. And the fact is that Viz's translations are canon to the naruto universe, and we are an English Encyclopedia about Naruto so we use the official English character names. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Sep 12, 2008 @ 04:33 (UTC)
- Forum:Names, when the wiki was first created, the entire community had a full discussion on what names to use. And I haven't seen any active editors showing up with any problem with that. That being said, you're free to start a new discussion in civil manor, but I doubt things are going to change, the rest of the community seams quite content with using English names on this English Encyclopedia. And like I said, I really don't care what you think of Viz. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Sep 12, 2008 @ 14:03 (UTC)
Tailed Beasts revert war Edit
It seems we've entered a bit of a revert war at the Tailed Beasts article. We should really try an resolve this in a more civilised way, don't you agree? You say that the more tails a Tailed Beast has, the more power it has. I say this isn't true, as it has never been said in the manga.