Re: Doton CategoryEdit
No other reason that it was called "Doton" as opposed to "Earth Release" whch it should have been. There was no way to move the Category (as far as I could find) which was the reason behind the deletion. Same with Katon, Suiton, Raiton categories. If you desire to put the Releases into their categories then it should have been done with the English translation. --TheUltimate3 10:33, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- And those my friend are the exceptions made. Certain things like the Kekkei Genkai's keep their Japanese names, such as the Hyoton and Mokuton.--TheUltimate3 21:28, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- I think to that I would have to disagree. Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Genjutsu, Kinjutsu, Senjutsu, the various Kekkei Genkai's, and the generic Jutsu (which is seldom used but I think still holds uses for something) are more than enough. Any more categories I think we'll just be using up space. On that matter I would talk to Dantman.--TheUltimate3 22:03, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
Yes, categories are a big waste of space. They clutter up pages and don't help as much. Rather than categories we're working on using Semantic Attributes, we've got Semantic MediaWiki installed.
The jutsu template is not yet ready for use, however if you feel like it, you can use [[Jutsu type::Medical]] (or perhaps you can suggest a better name) and we can integrate a field with types like that into the infobox when it's finished.
- Well I'm working on the infobox at Template:Infobox/Jutsu. You could help by looking through the jutsu categories and see if there are any types of data on those pages (the ones people make lists with) that aren't covered by my list parameters. Though, mostly my issue is probably the limit in what I can do to parse the syntaxes. To do that kind of stuff cleanly it's probably going to require work on my WikiCode extension, I suppose pokes showing people are actually interested in the extension would be helpful. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Jul 22, 2008 @ 03:52 (UTC)
- I dislike numeric columns for parameters, for things like the jutsu type I plan to make them comma separated. That's actually the reason I need to work on my WikiCode extension, MediaWiki's support for doing stuff like that is horrible.
- The mythology is something that don't really fit in semantic attributes, that's something we add as either a trivia item or a special section in the page.
- The Appears in column is used for either marking something Anime only, Manga only, or listing games that it's used in. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Jul 22, 2008 @ 04:13 (UTC)
Why would an admin with the ability to delete something just tag something for deletion instead of deleting it himself ;). I tag things for deletion when I intend to delete them in the future. The notices there are more of a reminder that the categories are going to be deleted in the future when a better system is in place. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Jul 28, 2008 @ 01:12 (UTC)
- The field (though perhaps something like 'class' would fit better) param does sound like an interesting addition. I don't know about the weaknesses, the Infobox primarily does semantic type data, I don't see how that can really be expressed semantically. That seams like textual data you would put in content. For the requirements, I already have a param for listing the kekkei genkai that a justu is part of, even parent jutsus (Rasengan would be parent of the Odama Rasengan), and I belive I do have a param for hand signs. The chakra used might be an interesting thing to add. However, where would you get such data? I don't know of any good official sources you could use to fill in that data.
- I've done a bit more looking, and was working a bit on #split-and-merge in WikiCode (it's a bit of a distance away), but it appears that Semantic Forms has a #arraymap parserfunction which should suffice till WikiCode is complete. However Semantic Forms is not yet installed so it'll be awhile before I can do anything complex with the infoboxes. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Aug 9, 2008 @ 03:27 (UTC)