Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 2, known in Japan as Naruto: Narutimate Hero 2 (ＮＡＲＵＴＯ-ナルト- ナルティメットヒーロー2, Naruto: Narutimetto Hīrō 2), is the second instalment of the fighting game series Naruto: Ultimate Ninja released for the Playstation 2.
It features a similar gameplay experience to Naruto: Ultimate Ninja, featuring many of the same gameplay elements and geography. And a notable number of changes have occurred:
- All characters now have basic combo finishers in all four directions (forward, upward, downward and backward), with one of the four for some characters them being guard break attacks apart from the downward single-direction combo. Meanwhile, the jutsu that were performed as combo finishers are now done with upx2 + attack instead.
- Knockback/knockdown effects have been re-tuned somewhat.
- All characters can now air throw, which is simply done the same way (back + attack within a certain distance of the opponent) only now done in the air.
- More characters now have access to special states after their connected Secret Skills/Techniques, while others instead have an instant special state done from merely performing their Secret Skill without any starting blow and/or cinematic (such as Kabuto, Shizune, and Taijutsu Naruto). Secret Skills during these states are all disabled until they wear off.
- Some Jutsu (done from either upx2 + attack or downx2 + attack) can now be charged up for slightly increased damage and/or increased effect, as well as other forms of interaction.
- Ninja tools fly more in a straight path as opposed to flying forward from the side of the thrower.
The game also features an RPG-esque story mode, the first half from the series, the second being an added story arc that takes place between the Search for Tsunade and the Sasuke Recovery Mission. In this arc, Orochimaru has Kabuto use a technique called the Forbidden Technique: Gedō Seal to seal Kakashi's Sharingan. Orochimaru then starts his second invasion on Konoha and uses Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation to revive Zabuza Momochi, Haku, and the Third Hokage. It features 31 playable characters in the Japanese version.
Parenthesis indicate a character's Awakening Mode.
- Naruto Uzumaki (うずまきナルト, Uzumaki Naruto) (Nine-Tails Mode), also playable in a Nine Tailed Fox form, also playable with a taijutsu outfit) (Ultimate Mode)
- Sasuke Uchiha (うちはサスケ, Uchiha Sasuke) (Sharingan Mode, also playable with a Curse Mark Mode)
- Sakura Haruno (春野サクラ, Haruno Sakura) (Ultimate Mode)
- Shikamaru Nara (奈良シカマル, Nara Shikamaru) (Ultimate Mode)
- Ino Yamanaka (山中いの, Yamanaka Ino) (Ultimate Mode)
- Chōji Akimichi (秋道チョウジ, Akimichi Chōji) (Expansion Mode)
- Kiba Inuzuka (犬塚キバ, Inuzuka Kiba) (Ultimate Mode)
- Shino Aburame (油女シノ, Aburame Shino) (Ultimate Mode)
- Hinata Hyūga (日向ヒナタ, Hyūga Hinata) (Byakugan Mode), also playable in an "awakened" form)
- Gaara (我愛羅, Gaara) (Ultimate Mode)
- Temari (テマリ, Temari) (Ultimate Mode)
- Kankurō (カンクロウ, Kankurō) (Ultimate Mode)
- Rock Lee (ロック・リー, Rokku Rī) (Eight Gates Mode)
- Neji Hyūga (日向ネジ, Hyūga Neji) (Byakugan Mode)
- Tenten (テンテン, Tenten) (Ultimate Mode)
- Kakashi Hatake (はたけカカシ, Hatake Kakashi) (Sharingan Mode), also playable with an Anbu outfit) (Ultimate Mode)
- Might Guy (マイト・ガイ, Maito Gai) (Eight Gates Mode)
- Shizune (シズネ, Shizune) (Ultimate Mode)
- Third Hokage (猿飛ヒルゼン, Sarutobi Hiruzen) (Ultimate Mode)
- Jiraiya (自来也, Jiraiya) (Ultimate Mode)
- Orochimaru (大蛇丸, Orochimaru) (also playable with Sealed Arms)
- Tsunade (綱手, Tsunade) (Regeneration Mode)
- Itachi Uchiha (うちはイタチ, Uchiha Itachi) (Tsukuyomi Mode)
- Kisame Hoshigaki (干柿鬼鮫, Hoshigaki Kisame) (Shark Skin Mode)
- Kabuto Yakushi (薬師カブト, Yakushi Kabuto) (Ultimate Mode)
- Zabuza Momochi (桃地再不斬, Momochi Zabuza) (Ultimate Mode)
- Haku (白, Haku) (Ultimate Mode)
- Dotō Kazahana (風花ドトウ, Kazahana Dotō) (Japan only)
- Asuma Sarutobi (猿飛アスマ, Sarutobi Asuma)
- Iruka Umino (うみのイルカ, Umino Iruka)
- Sakon and Ukon (左近と右近, Sakon to Ukon)
- Tayuya (多由也, Tayuya)
- Kidōmaru (鬼童丸, Kidōmaru)
- Jirōbō (次郎坊, Jirōbō)
- Nadare Rōga (狼牙ナダレ, Rōga Nadare) (Japan only)
- Mizore Fuyukuma (冬熊ミゾレ, Fuyukuma Mizore) (Japan only)
- Fubuki Kakuyoku (鶴翼フブキ, Kakuyoku Fubuki) (Japan only)
- Should one begin a new game using a memory card that has a Naruto: Ultimate Ninja save file, the player will receive 340 Ninja Info Cards and 50,000 ryō as bonus.
- Naruto encounters the inner version of himself in the game, similar to Dark Naruto, shown nearly eight years later in the series.
- Depending on who they fight, characters have special intro and win phrases against certain opponents, such as Naruto vs. Sasuke. This was not featured in the first game.
- Many reviews had criticised the massive difficulty level of harder CPU levels in the game and that some of the controls, such as timing substitution jutsus, were nearly impossible, as compared to its prequel.
- Nine-Tailed Naruto in this game reuses assets from Naruto's moveset in the prior installment, such as his combos and his moves' input schemes (as normal Naruto uses a revamped moveset with new animations).
- Also in this game, Nine-Tailed Naruto is able to perform the Food Cart Destroyer Technique.
- Dotō Kazahana and the stages related to him are not available in the localised versions due to the first Naruto movie not being dubbed in English at that time, though the theme song used for the said stages is still kept in both versions as Haku's battle theme in the story mode.
|Ultimate Ninja series||Naruto: Ultimate Ninja - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - Card Battle - Mission - Online - Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes - 2 - 3 - Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Impact - Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm - 2 - 3 - 4 - Generations - Revolution|
|Uzumaki Chronicles series||Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles - 2 - Naruto Shippūden: Legends: Akatsuki Rising - Naruto Shippūden: Kizuna Drive|
|Path of the Ninja series||Naruto: Path of the Ninja - 2 - RPG 2 - Naruto: Konoha Senki - Naruto: Konoha Ninpōchō|
|Ninja Council series||Naruto: Ninja Council - 2 - 2 (European Version) - 3 - 4 - Naruto Shippūden: Shinobi Rumble - Naruto Shippūden: Naruto vs. Sasuke|
|Ninja Destiny series||Naruto: Ninja Destiny - 2 - 3|
|Clash of Ninja series||Naruto: Clash of Ninja - 2 - 3 - 4 - EX - EX 2 - EX 3 - Special - Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution - 2 - 3|
|Other Naruto Games||Naruto: Shinobi no Sato no Jintori Kassen - Naruto: Rise of a Ninja - Naruto: The Broken Bond - Naruto Shippūden 3D: The New Era - Naruto Shippūden: Dairansen! Kage Bunshin Emaki - Naruto Shippūden: Dragon Blade Chronicles - Naruto SD Powerful Shippūden - Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - Naruto x Boruto: Ninja Voltage|
|Other Related Games||Jump Super Stars - Jump Ultimate Stars - Battle Stadium D.O.N - J-Stars Victory VS - Jump Force|