|Truth-Seeking Ball |
|Literal English||Truth-Seeking Ball|
|Viz print media||Truthseeker Orb|
|Alternative names||Black Weapons (黒い武器, Kuroi Buki), Chakra Rosary (チャクラの数珠, Chakura no Juzu)|
|Manga||Volume #67, Chapter #638|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #378|
|Movie||The Last: Naruto the Movie|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
|Class||Offensive, Defensive, Supplementary|
Truth-Seeking Balls are spheres of malleable black chakra composed of all five nature transformations and Yin–Yang Release. Each is about the size of a fist and hides within the power to completely obliterate a forest.
There are multiple ways to acquire the Truth-Seeking Balls:
- Those who awaken the Six Paths Senjutsu can manifest nine orbs that float in a circular formation behind the user's back.
- Those who become the Ten-Tails Jinchūriki gain nine orbs that float behind the user's back in a circular formation with an additional one that appears to on standby become a shakujō, but can transform into a ball or as desired like the other orbs. While Hagoromo was levitating, the orbs were floating in a circle below him, while his shakujō hovered behind his back. Obito only had two orbs at first, but got all ten when he gained control over the Ten-Tails. The black orbs of the Ten-Tails Jinchūriki are similar to Tailed Beast Balls.
- Those who fully manifest the Tenseigan can access nine Truth-Seeking Balls. Normally, the orbs float behind the user's back, in a sigmodial formation for Hamura and a circular formation for Toneri.
- Obito Uchiha, after having lost the Ten-Tails, was able to create a makeshift Truth-Seeking Ball out of Black Zetsu's mass and shape it into a shakujō. Additionally, he absorbed some of Madara's Six Paths senjutsu chakra and applied it to the staff, making it invulnerable to Madara's own Truth-Seeking Balls.
Functioning as a type of technique that is always on standby, rather than activating from nothing, each of the orbs created by it can be individually manipulated at will. By utilising the power of all of creation (森羅万象, Shinra Banshō, Literally meaning: All Things in Nature), the balls can be shaped into a variety of forms, and the many natures comprising them can be combined to produce various effects. Obito shaped the balls by having them pierce through holes that temporarily formed in his hands, whereas other users forego this process. They are able to serve a variety of functions, such as forming shields, launching as high-speed projectiles, and rapidly expanding to produce massive explosions. As the chakra comprising them is highly durable, the balls can serve as an effective defence, only taking damage from extremely powerful techniques. The black chakra can also seemingly be converted into chakra receivers to activate other techniques, as well as used to create the legendary Sword of Nunoboko.
The Truth-Seeking Balls are capable of using attacks that instantly turn their target to dust, prompting Hiruzen Sarutobi to compare them to Dust Release, though he noted that their fluid nature allows them to serve both offensive and defensive purposes, and they can be maintained. The balls can utilise Yin–Yang Release to nullify any ninjutsu they come in contact with; as a result, any damage done to a reincarnated individual — who can usually regenerate infinitely — cannot be repaired, and said individual can die. However, this nullification effect does not appear to be automatic, as Obito's Truth-Seeking Balls did not display it prior to him gaining control over the Ten-Tails' power. The balls can also quickly heal the user through contact, glowing red while doing so in the anime. Naruto's Truth-Seeking Balls are able to utilise his Six Paths Sage Chakra (六道の仙人チャクラ, Rikudō no Sennin Chakura) to effectively damage shadows in the invisible world of Limbo. The Truth-Seeking Balls also serve as a catalyst for Naruto, enabling him to use a Tailed Beast Ball and variants without the need to use Tailed Beast Mode.
Although the Truth-Seeking Balls are usually orbs, their form can be freely changed into what the user desires. They can grab enemies far away in the form of hands, or be thrown in the form of weapons. Because the high-density chakra is in a condensed state, it can be pulled and stretched into a smooth and flat consistency, as well as freely manipulated into any other shape.
The user starts with a set amount of balls and can only control them within 70 metres of their location, allowing opponents to separate them from the user by transporting them elsewhere. If they are somehow destroyed or otherwise not retrieved by the user, they appear to be permanently lost, as no user has demonstrated the ability to replace them. Similarly, any clones produced by the user will not have their own Truth-Seeking Balls, though it is possible for the user to pass them over to a clone. Hiruzen suspected that there is a time limit for how long the balls can undergo each shape transformation. When the Truth-Seeking Balls expand, they are capable of damaging the user's own body provided they are not protected by other balls. Additionally, the balls are incapable of negating senjutsu, and their form becomes disrupted upon coming into contact with senjutsu chakra. In the event that the user is killed or their chakra otherwise disappears, the balls will disintegrate in the same manner as the chakra receivers.
- The term Truth-Seeker (求道, Kyūdō; Gudō) comes from Mahāyāna Buddhism. The Kanji 求 means to wish for, while the Way (道, Dō) in Mahāyāna doctrine is to find the ultimate truth within one's own mind.
- Suspecting this technique to be a combination of at least four nature transformations, Hiruzen concluded that it is beyond both kekkei genkai and kekkei tōta. This was later confirmed by the fourth databook.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, the Truth-Seeking Balls give off a purple glow.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Fourth Databook, page 249
- ↑ Chapter 689, page 5
- ↑ Chapter 665
- ↑ Chapter 666
- ↑ Chapter 669, page 6
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Chapter 639, pages 7-8
- ↑ Chapter 673, page 1
- ↑ Chapter 643, page 12
- ↑ Chapter 666, page 5
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Chapter 640, pages 5-8
- ↑ Chapter 669, pages 15-16
- ↑ Chapter 643, pages 9-11
- ↑ Chapter 651, pages 4-5
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Chapter 642
- ↑ Chapter 643, page 3
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 380
- ↑ Chapter 674, pages 9-10
- ↑ Chapter 669, pages 7, 14-15
- ↑ Chapter 675, pages 10-11
- ↑ Chapter 686, pages 10-11
- ↑ Chapter 680, pages 10-11