FANDOM


  • Hi everyone! I wanted to see if you'd be interested in a wiki spiff? I'd really just like to add a character and video gallery along with a newsfeed and add a mobile friendly pollsnacks poll. I'd also like to see if you'd be interested in activating discussions? They are super easy to use and can be accessed remotely on any mobile device. Let me know if any of this sounds appealing as I'd love to work with you and help improve this wiki.

      Loading editor
      • The main gallery could use a change. I personally like the way One Piece Wiki does it
      • What exactly will the newsfeed contain?
      • We don't really use the poll much
      • Same for videos
      • What extra benefits would discussions provide (vs forums)?
        Loading editor
    • Hello!

      • A newsfeed is a self-updating list of all current news about Naruto. A good example can be found here on the Throne of Glass wiki.
      • The main gallery can look like the one on the One Piece wiki if that's what you guys prefer.
      • If you guys don't use polls or videos very much, then we don't have to add them to the main page if you don't want to. Just a suggestion.
        Loading editor
    • So, as @UltimateSupreme asked, what's the benefit of the discussions vs the forums we're currently using? Is there an example we can look at?

        Loading editor
    • The Discussions is a separate part of the wiki, meaning you have to click on the Discussions to see what is being talked about instead of seeing the conversations along with all other activity on the wiki. The loading time sucks. I prefer the Forums. The only upside to them is that you get to see how many people like the topic you are talking about.

        Loading editor
    • Witnessme wrote: A newsfeed is a self-updating list of all current news about Naruto. A good example can be found here on the Throne of Glass wiki.

      Oh google news. That certainly seems interesting. We could add that below the forum discussions and make the heading as "Recent Updates" or replace the DYK section with it.

        Loading editor
    • Rachin123 wrote: The Discussions is a separate part of the wiki, meaning you have to click on the Discussions to see what is being talked about instead of seeing the conversations along with all other activity on the wiki…

      This concept I especially like…

      I like One Piece wiki's layout it's much more "seamless" for want of a better word and the feed doesn't sound like a bad idea. But does the feed only pull updates from google news?

        Loading editor
    • UltimateSupreme wrote:

      • The main gallery could use a change. I personally like the way One Piece Wiki does it
      • What exactly will the newsfeed contain?
      • We don't really use the poll much
      • Same for videos
      • What extra benefits would discussions provide (vs forums)?

      i was the only one who's doing the polls

        Loading editor
    • Rachin123 wrote: The Discussions is a separate part of the wiki, meaning you have to click on the Discussions to see what is being talked about instead of seeing the conversations along with all other activity on the wiki. The loading time sucks. I prefer the Forums. The only upside to them is that you get to see how many people like the topic you are talking about.

      Well yeah,but it shows you the quality of your thread.

        Loading editor
    • I much prefer Forums, since unlike Discussions, you can like the topic at hand, as well as comments people say on it. So if you ask me, quality goes to Forums.

        Loading editor
    • I agree, forums are better for this wikia.

        Loading editor
    • It might be possible to move "Theories and Speculation" and "Versus Debates" to discussions and keep the rest on forums.

      Discussions have many problems though which we might have to consider

        Loading editor
    • UltimateSupreme wrote: It might be possible to move "Theories and Speculation" and "Versus Debates" to discussions and keep the rest on forums.

      Discussions have many problems though which we might have to consider

      All of it gets moved, I don't believe we have any choice to be selective of things. And given how many posts those two boards have, it would be pretty hard to get people to move to an inferior platform for those types of discussions. As far as I know, if we chose the option of "migrating" the content, we would lose the forums we have: just enabling "Discussions" means starting from a blank slate again and I doubt anyone's going to want to do that.

      For reference, across all of the "postable" forums, we have 81,968 posts. If we count just those posts in the two boards mentioned, there are 43,736 posts. These two boards combined equate to 53% of the total posts made on the forum, so that's a lot of posts just being "sent away" to an essentially inferior platform.

      Because Discussions are so separate from the rest of the wiki, it means asking people to "leave the wiki" to have those discussions, which takes us right back to the time before these forums exist. It seems a shame to throw away so many posts and send users to a worse discussion system imo.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe we should create a new thread, seeing as this is going too off-topic

      • Seeing as Arrowverse wiki has both, I think both can be used at the same time.
      • Do the forum users (especially of those two boards) really contribute much to the other parts of the wiki?
      • We could just lock those two and display a link to discussions in the description
        Loading editor
    • UltimateSupreme wrote: Maybe we should create a new thread, seeing as this is going too off-topic

      • Seeing as Arrowverse wiki has both, I think both can be used at the same time.
      • Do the forum users (especially of those two boards) really contribute much to the other parts of the wiki?
      • We could just lock those two and display a link to discussions in the description

      While both can be used, Wikia has repeatedly stated that "Discussions" will be a total replacement of "forums" and that "Forums" will be removed at some point in the future, once proper integration can be made. I have heard nothing to suggest that this is not true any more.

      There have been multiple forum users who have went on to contribute in some way to the wiki as a whole.

      I believe that discussing Forums is important to the discussion. It was mentioned by a Staff member, so it does have relevance here ;)

        Loading editor
    • Rachin123 wrote: I much prefer Forums, since unlike Discussions, you can like the topic at hand, as well as comments people say on it. So if you ask me, quality goes to Forums.

      You can technically do the same on Discussions (you can "upvote" comments, which is essentially the same thing).

      To my understanding, Forums were going to be migrated to Discussions anyway. So giving us the option to choose now does take me aback a bit. Over the years, we've made a good amount of edits and alterations to the Forums via JavaScript and CSS. That would all go when migrating to Discussions. My question is, would we be able to do the same edits and alterations with Discussions through JavaScript, CSS or something else?

      UltimateSupreme wrote:

      • Do the forum users (especially of those two boards) really contribute much to the other parts of the wiki?

      Debatable. There are some editors who've made all of their edits in the forum board namespace and not a single edit (or, not much) in the wiki mainspace. So "leaving the wiki" (given you can't see what goes on in Discussions in Special:Recentchanges) to discuss may not affect them adversely (I mean they would need time to adjust to moving elsewhere to discuss), nor would it affect those who don't use the forums much anyway, but it would affect the users who have a substantial amount of edits in both namespaces. And there is a greater amount of those editors than those who pick only one namespace to contribute on.

      UltimateSupreme wrote:

      • What extra benefits would discussions provide (vs forums)?

      Also, this^ wasn't answered.

      To my understanding as well, Discussions aren't even a finished product as opposed to the Forums, and are still undergoing the process of having new features being added to it. Not really a huge fan of the mobile-like format when I'm on a desktop, admittedly. Since the concept of the Discussions feature was introduced to me around a year ago, I would have assumed it would have a more desktop-looking version of it by now.

        Loading editor
    • WindStar7125 wrote: My question is, would we be able to do the same edits and alterations with Discussions through JavaScript, CSS or something else?

      Nope. There is no way to do JavaScript on the Discussions feature. Unless this has changed (and given Wikia's track record with any "beta" feature, that's most likely not changed), everything we've done to the forums here would be lost.

        Loading editor
    • So with the exception of the Forums, is anyone opposed to the improvements suggested by Witnessme?

        Loading editor
    • I don't mind the newsfeed idea.

        Loading editor
    • Rachin123
      Rachin123 removed this reply because:
      ...
      22:43, May 22, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • FT wiki does blogs, does Naruto wiki have blogs?

        Loading editor
    • Ncduru wrote: FT wiki does blogs, does Naruto wiki have blogs?

      We have no need for blogs here, that would socialise the wiki to a ridiculous level. Also, blogs would be like a huge encouragement for users to post fanon here, which we don't want. Forums are more than enough for socialising imo.

        Loading editor
    • Tried adding the newsfeed. Clear cache and check. Any thoughts?

        Loading editor
    • Now the whitespace below affiliates is even bigger, though.

      Also, am I understanding correctly that videos have been added to the article head without community consent?

        Loading editor
    • Seelentau wrote: Also, am I understanding correctly that videos have been added to the article head without community consent?

      Those videos are a form of "inline ad", they appear very randomly in places on Wikia now, but they're not being added into the articles themselves (ie edit this page won't show anything). Therefore, trying to find them in the page's source (with Edit This Page) is futile, as they're not added there. Wikia won't bother to listen to any complaints about it (or if they do, they'll waste 2 years before removing them).

      All you can do is find the classes and ID's in your browser's element console inspector and use personal CSS declarations to make them hidden.

        Loading editor
    • meh, no thanks, I'm just not going to visit those articles that much. iirc it's just the popular ones, anyway.

        Loading editor
    • Seelentau wrote: meh, no thanks, I'm just not going to visit those articles that much. iirc it's just the popular ones, anyway.

      Putting this here for anyone who needs it.

        Loading editor
    • UltimateSupreme wrote: Tried adding the newsfeed. Clear cache and check. Any thoughts?

      Is the newsfeed on the right? Not bad, I think.

        Loading editor
    • Seelentau wrote: Now the whitespace below affiliates is even bigger, though.

      That has been bugging me too. Just waiting for the slider discussion to reach an end. If we add in the new nav slider while also keep the old slider, it should take care of the free space.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message