FANDOM


  • This topic is about the references. Mainly, I'd like to talk about whether to put links to the mentioned chapter/episode/databook. Also, doesn't it look redundant to put "Naruto" in there? For the anime, it's understandable since there are two series with different names, "Naruto" and "Naruto: Shippūden", but what about the manga? I found this template, that has quite some interesting features. Please share your thoughts.

      Loading editor
    • I think the manga chapters with their page numbers we are using are just more useful because it gives reference to particular detail in some pages of that chapter for example, for a technique such as this, the hand seals are shown in that particular page. By the way, I really like the Idea to introduce links for references, may be we could just add the links to some chapters that do not have any page numbers, for e.g. for something like "chapter 680" we could just add the link. For anime we could link them as well, especially for fillers.

      Is there any option to include page numbers to chapters by using that template? If we're really doing that then we'd have to edit reference for every page just to make it consistent. In the character article page of Itachi, Madara, Obito the reference format is "Chapter, page " there is no "Naruto" but not all pages follow this format.

        Loading editor
    • Naruto uzu6254 wrote:

      Is there any option to include page numbers to chapters by using that template?

      It's possible, yes. That template, however, should be modified a bit, mainly so that it's usable even for episodes, databooks, and so on. Also, such a template makes the <references/> tag at the end of any page redundant, because it's a direct link to the chapter (meaning, if you click on the note, you automatically go to that chapter's page, instead of the end of the article where there's the References list; see the second to last bullet point here as an example).

        Loading editor
    • JOA20 wrote: Also, doesn't it look redundant to put "Naruto" in there? For the anime, it's understandable since there are two series with different names, "Naruto" and "Naruto: Shippūden", but what about the manga?

      Thread:128764

      JOA20 wrote: I found this template, that has quite some interesting features.

      UltimateSupreme has modified the template to rely on semantics. I don't expect that would be viable in the long run.

      Naruto uzu6254 wrote: Is there any option to include page numbers to chapters by using that template?

      The option can be added, though I'm not sure how it would look.

      However, I don't find page numbers to actually be that useful. I have the volume releases so what the wiki says is page 11 is actually for me page 84.

      They tend not to be accurate to online readers either because the website will a) have fanart at the start that offsets the number, b) have a couple WSJ-related Naruto pages that should not be counted towards the page count yet are, or c) the website numbers two-page spreads as one page. These problems with online readers, in turn, tend to make the wiki's references wrong; I've seen several references to a "page 18", despite the fact that chapters have only 17 pages.

      JOA20 wrote: That template, however, should be modified a bit, mainly so that it's usable even for episodes, databooks, and so on.

      Different templates would probably be easier. Especially if semantics doesn't make it into the final product.

      JOA20 wrote: Also, such a template makes the <references/> tag at the end of any page redundant

      So remove the References section?

        Loading editor
    • Couldn't agree more on the page number problem, Snapper2. For both volume and online readers, it's never correct.

      As for the templates, probably it's better to put different ones as you say, though I think a #switch parserfunction would be enough. Anyway, better leave it to UltimateSupreme.

      About the References section, it should probably be removed, since there would be no refs to show anymore…

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message