FANDOM


  • we know Tsunade is in her 50s and she remains youthful with her seal on her fourhead but it is my opinion that she should actually not look so haggish for a couple of reasons

    1. she is in her 50s not her 90s her appearance when weak is that of a frail old lady and i mean old old lady, look at orochimaru and Jiraiya both look at most 50 but neither of them are as old looking as her when weak. 2. she is an uzumaki and as such has the strong life sustaining chakra and life force. she should naturally age slower than others. as such shouldn't she naturally look as young as she does.

      Loading editor
    • You forget though that Shizune explained that Tsunade's Creation Rebirth abuses her body significantly, it causes her cells to reach her hayflick limit much faster than normal. In short, her body is even older than she should be for her age. This was also a concern with Naruto's rapid healing, because Jiraiya mentioned that it was literally shortening his life span.

        Loading editor
    • it would still not make her look older. even if she reached her hayflick limit faster. she would simply reach a moment in which her cells stop dividing and she dies. and no one knows exactly how large that limit is. and even if its true that her using the mark will shorten her life span. it can not be by much. because she rarely uses it. she only uses it if she is pushed to the limit which rarely has happened in her entire life time since she is a Sannin

        Loading editor
    • Kishimoto decided that Creation Rebirth shortening her life is what is making her look old, to show that her lifespan is short. And we have no idea how much she used it during her time outside of Konoha? Or hell during the war.

        Loading editor
    • That's not how hayflick is supposed to work. First off, you should know that hayflick is a theory, not biological fact. The theory behind it is that skins cells lose elasticity as the body ages, caused by the cells shortening division. They all don't stop dividing at once. Tsunade wouldn't just die, she would grow old much earlier and die much earlier, she wouldn't just plop dead. Also, her being a Sannin has nothing to do with it, perhaps her Uzumaki lineage increases her overall age, but even Mito was seen to be extremely old at the time of her death. We have no idea how abused Tsunade's body has become because of Creation Rebirth.

      If you want to create a speculation forum that's fine. But don't spend the entire time shooting down theories. Just a little piece of advice.

        Loading editor
    • TheUltimate3 wrote: Kishimoto decided that Creation Rebirth shortening her life is what is making her look old, to show that her lifespan is short. And we have no idea how much she used it during her time outside of Konoha? Or hell during the war.

      never once have they said in the manga or in any interviews that creation rebirth makes her look older than she does


      Omega64 wrote: That's not how hayflick is supposed to work. First off, you should know that hayflick is a theory, not biological fact. The theory behind it is that skins cells lose elasticity as the body ages, caused by the cells shortening division. They all don't stop dividing at once. Tsunade wouldn't just die, she would grow old much earlier and die much earlier, she wouldn't just plop dead. Also, her being a Sannin has nothing to do with it, perhaps her Uzumaki lineage increases her overall age, but even Mito was seen to be extremely old at the time of her death. We have no idea how abused Tsunade's body has become because of Creation Rebirth.

      If you want to create a speculation forum that's fine. But don't spend the entire time shooting down theories. Just a little piece of advice. </

      its not about shooting you down its about discussing it.
        Loading editor
    • Because it is implied. You shouldn't need everything spelled out for you. If your lifespan is decreased it means you die sooner, which means you age sooner as well. You don't just die. Tsunade isn't going to just be walking around one day and fall over dead, she is going to get so old her Reserve Seal isn't going to be able to keep her young and she'll die a natural death.

        Loading editor
    • nothing is implied. they never make any mention about why she looks 90 when she is only in her 50s. even if her creation rebirth jutsu shortens her life span. it would not cause her to look 90 when she already had a long life span to begin with

        Loading editor
    • Quite a bit is implied, my friend, Kishi doesn't have the time to explain every little detail. But as TheUltimate3 said, we have no idea how much she has abused it. We've only seen her use it a handful of times, but for all we know she used it 20 times before. No one was surprised by her bodies massive age, although Jiraiya and Orochimaru both mentioned they had never seen her so weak when they seen her.

        Loading editor
    • Actionmanrandell wrote:

      TheUltimate3 wrote: Kishimoto decided that Creation Rebirth shortening her life is what is making her look old, to show that her lifespan is short. And we have no idea how much she used it during her time outside of Konoha? Or hell during the war.

      never once have they said in the manga or in any interviews that creation rebirth makes her look older than she does

      No, but it has blatantly said that it accelerates the duplication of her cells and in turn, shortens her lifespan. It's pretty clear that Kishi's intent is to say that that increased cell division speeds up her aging.

        Loading editor
    • Soul reaper wrote:

      Actionmanrandell wrote:

      TheUltimate3 wrote: Kishimoto decided that Creation Rebirth shortening her life is what is making her look old, to show that her lifespan is short. And we have no idea how much she used it during her time outside of Konoha? Or hell during the war.

      never once have they said in the manga or in any interviews that creation rebirth makes her look older than she does

      No, but it has blatantly said that it accelerates the duplication of her cells and in turn, shortens her lifespan. It's pretty clear that Kishi's intent is to say that that increased cell division makes speeds up her aging.

      Which exactly is the principle of the hayflick limit. If you are more curious about the subject OP, I suggest you do a little research on it. Especially since you seemed so interested in cellular biology in the chapter discussion.

        Loading editor
    • Just to clarify Omega, the word theory doesn't mean the same thing in science as it does in common usage by people. We use the word theory to mean speculation, assumption. In science, the word hypothesis has a similar meaning to our theory with the only difference that a hypothesis is an educated guess while a non-literal theory may not even be educated and is just a guess and may even contradict known facts.

      A theory in science describes real phenomena as observed and understood at a given time, meaning a theory is only as true as is our understanding of the phenomena. But a theory backed up with plenty of evidence that can be tested for falsifiability is as close to a "fact" as you can get. I mean, explanation of gravity too is just a theory, but you don't doubt that if you jump out of a window you will fall, do you?

      So stating that hayflick limit is "not a biological fact" but "just a theory" is as untrue as it gets. It's a "fact" until and if it gets disproven, until then, it's true.

        Loading editor
    • I agree completely with Elveonora.

      But it does seem to me that you @Actionmanrandell needs everything spelled out for your understanding, else you make crazy "theories" about everything and refuses to accept things that are, for just about everyone else, crystal clear.

      Edit: My point is, we can accept as a fact that she is shortening her lifespan, and her cells are at their limit when her Seal is deactivated/broken, and so that's why she looks like that.

        Loading editor
    • Omega64 wrote: You forget though that Shizune explained that Tsunade's Creation Rebirth abuses her body significantly, it causes her cells to reach her hayflick limit much faster than normal. In short, her body is even older than she should be for her age. This was also a concern with Naruto's rapid healing, because Jiraiya mentioned that it was literally shortening his life span.

      @actionman: i completely agree with @omega here. Lie ive said before, it's a manga/ a fictional story so the creator can bend science if he wants to.

        Loading editor
    • Elveonora wrote: Just to clarify Omega, the word theory doesn't mean the same thing in science as it does in common usage by people. We use the word theory to mean speculation, assumption. In science, the word hypothesis has a similar meaning to our theory with the only difference that a hypothesis is an educated guess while a non-literal theory may not even be educated and is just a guess and may even contradict known facts.

      A theory in science describes real phenomena as observed and understood at a given time, meaning a theory is only as true as is our understanding of the phenomena. But a theory backed up with plenty of evidence that can be tested for falsifiability is as close to a "fact" as you can get. I mean, explanation of gravity too is just a theory, but you don't doubt that if you jump out of a window you will fall, do you?

      So stating that hayflick limit is "not a biological fact" but "just a theory" is as untrue as it gets. It's a "fact" until and if it gets disproven, until then, it's true.

      Well I don't pretend to pass off fake science as real Elveonora, even if it is real in the manga. It's against my nature. It's obvious Kishi makes it real here. However, it's a theory, so I just mentioned it as such. Also, Kishi isn't saying it's hayflick anyway, I'm just making an observation about a comparison of the two.

        Loading editor
    • Fake... science? Anyway, let's not get into that again, we once argued about science and religion in the past and it was a long one :D

        Loading editor
    • You've never heard of junk science? I'm shocked! XD

        Loading editor
    • I did, but I wouldn't call hayflick limit junk science.

        Loading editor
    • Well it's true that it is superior to Carrel's theory of infinite cellular mitosis, but it is still a biological theory. I despise people passing off theory as fact. Because to me, science is about facts, until then everything is junk.

        Loading editor
    • It's not the seal on her forehead that keeps her young.. She uses a jutsu that runs chakra through her body making her appear younger. Also, she's not an Uzumaki, she's a Senju.

        Loading editor
    • Sakura explained that Tsunade uses the power of the seal to stimulate her special transformation jutsu. You're right that it isn't the seal, but if the seal would disappear, the jutsu that transforms her would end right after that. Hence, why she always turns old after losing her Reverse Seal. Sakura explained she can use more of the seal's power because she doesn't have to use it to keep up her appearance.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message