I've been looking into the etymology for Gedō (外道, lit. "Outer Path"), and it's pretty interesting. It's strictly a Buddhist term, naturally. It's from the Chinese translation of the Sanskrit Tīrthika, which means "treading the outer path," specifically referring to someone who is walking a spiritual path towards enlightenment, but opposes Buddhist teachings (the "inner path"), and is basically going about it the wrong way.
A proper English translation of Tīrthika apparantly doesn't exist, and "heretic" carries a prejorative connotation that isn't really intended by the term, though it still seems to be the most common translation of both Gedō and Tīrthika, and I can't really come up with anything better, apart from Tīrthika itself.
Also interesting, Mazō (魔像, lit. "Demonic Statue") is the same as the Chinese term for golem, though it's not used in Japanese to my knowledge. Regardless, I think "Demonic Statue" or "Demon Statue" conveys the meaning just fine.
I think I'll add a simple "influences" section to this and the "Shinra Bansho" techniques to explain the Buddhist referances in their names, like with the Six Paths of Pain. FF-Suzaku (talk) 00:35, 16 May 2009 (UTC)
This is what i find out about peins summoning statue Heretical Doctri, (Kuchiyose: Gedō Mazō). Gedo is related to buddhist pracitce gedo zen which means "Outside Way".In gedo zen, one's practice consist of prayer and attention to some entity or state of being which is related to one. Such practices might also involve the cultivation of various powers, in order to gain some control over the physics of day to day experience so that one can imagine oneself to be more "godlike." HUNTER* (talk) 14:46, 16 May 2009 (UTC)
Kekkei genkai Edit
- i'm pretty sure that's a technique that can't be copied or used outside of the Rinnegan. pretty much everything nagato did should be considered a kekkei genkai.... --Cerez365 (talk) 13:02, May 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Frankly speaking, that's more of an assumption, as there's no literal evidence, such a databook, claiming Nagato's jutsu were Rinnegan based or kekkei genkai [And I don't know why Narutowiki would take a misleading route]. About 8 of his old jutsu were not described in the 3rd databook in that manner, and I don't see what Gedo Mazo has to do with the Rinnegan when other people have access to it.Wreiad (talk) 16:16, May 30, 2010 (UTC)
Was it explicitly said that Madara wants to sync Sasuke with the statue? If I remember correctly he just said he had to find someone else to replace Pain. I don't think he ever said Sasuke would be the one - actually it seems he has other plans for Sasuke. If I'm wrong, and Madara did say that, can someone direct me to the Manga chapter confirms this? Kjammer (talk) 05:22, May 30, 2010 (UTC)
- I don't remember him saying sasuke was going to be the one to sync with it either... from looking at the page history i see this was started by Cooltamerboy... - SimAnt 05:27, May 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Madara said something about to sync Sasuke with Gedo mazo in chapter 453, page 17. Jacce | Talk | Contributions 10:51, May 30, 2010 (UTC)
isnt that the exayt same jutsu as tayuyas, i mean i admit its a thousand times stronger and bigger but still they both summon blindfolded demons which eat their opponents souls using ghost-snakes coming out of their mouth22.214.171.124 (talk) 21:14, July 4, 2010 (UTC)
- No. It's not the same at all. The purposes are totally different. Yes, they are summoning techniques, but Tayuya uses them for fighting, and Outer path is used for sealing tailed beasts. --Ttogafer (talk) 21:24, July 4, 2010 (UTC)
well at least when pain used it against hanzous men it was used for fighting and i figured if tayuya had more chakra or the rinnegan or something than it would have been the same jutsu but thats just speculation126.96.36.199 (talk) 20:06, July 5, 2010 (UTC)
Why are two pages about a technique? Edit
Why are two pages about a technique? http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Gedo_Mazo and http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Summoning:_Demonic_Statue_of_the_Outer_Path
- One is about the technique that Nagato uses with it and the other is about the statue as a storehouse for the Hosts --Cerez365 (talk) 13:42, November 6, 2010 (UTC)
Should we add its similarity to ten tailed into the content?
- It's a pure speculation. We could not just speculate. —IndxcvNovelist (Talk to Me|My Wiki) 05:18, May 7, 2012 (UTC)
Speculation and not very plausible speculation at that. We know where every bit of the Ten-Tails is, and they are:
- Body locked inside of the Moon
- Chakra exists in the form of the 9 Tailed Beasts.
I'm not arguing about leaving it out as at this point it is speculation, but I believe it is distinctly more plausible than you describe Skitts. If anything it seems much more irrational that the moon was created to house a tailed beast's physical form. After all that would imply that the only moon we see in Naruto was not around in the time of the Sage, so how the hell did their world function without one? Not to mention, it wouldn't exactly be the first time Tobi has lied or told half-truths in order to throw people off. Besides that, a summoning technique generally takes something from one space and moves it to another. So even if the physical form of the Ten Tails was sealed in the moon, at no point is is stated that it is still in there. Granted we've seen since its first summoning that the statue isn't stored on the moon when not in use, but again, nothing pointing to the ten tails still being there. Similarly so, the Ten tails lost all its chakra when it was seperated into the 9 tailed beasts. So wouldn't it make sense that the beast itself could reabsorb this chakra? Certainly sounds more plausible than someone creating a giant statue container capable of housing the chakra of all the tailed beasts when it seems to be a very specific type of person who can even house one of these things. Still not advocating it be added, but not leaving out the possiblity that its true. --188.8.131.52 (talk) 11:23, May 7, 2012 (UTC)
Using Gedo Mazo without the Rinnegan? Edit
Because in mangastream's translation of the latest chapter Madara stated you only need Senju DNA along with Uchiha power he would be able to control without the Rinnegan.—This unsigned comment was made by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) .