(This also apllies to Ino Yamanaka and Choji Akimichi). I don't think we should add Doton to any of team Asuma members. Nature transformation, even if it is your own affinity element, takes huge amount of hard-work. I think they didn't use nature transformation to perform the justu. They used just shape manipulation instead. There was no need to create earth. The ground is already there so they just had to shape it into a wall. If they had used nature transformation, their chakra would have turned to earth and caused the ground to turn into a much harder substance - that's what the real Doton users do. Elements' users manipulate their own chakra to give it the properties of a certain element, like Naruto turning his own chakra to the wind element to cut the leaf. Now all these shinobies (including team Asuma) didn't do that. They just used doton seals to manipulate the surrounding earth with their own, ordinary chakra.Faust-RSI (talk) 05:57, May 16, 2013 (UTC)
- Which, of course, is all speculation on your part. You don't know what their chakra did or didn't do. Nor do we. We do know, however, that they preformed an Earth Release technique. All of them. Or, well, most of them. We don't know who went through what training, or when they went through it, but the fact is that it is now irrelevant. They have been demonstrated doing Earth Release, so it has been added, as has been the situation every time a character uses a nature release. Unless proven otherwise at a later time, it has, and will remain, listed. ~ Ten Tailed Fox 07:08, May 16, 2013 (UTC)
I'd probably say that you're right in that we probably shouldn't add an Earth nature to Shikamaru and everyone else who employed that earth technique in the previous chapter. This is largely because each and every Shinobi has the capacity to manipulate all five elements, but very few actually DO manage to accomplish this feat, and generally most Shinobi have an aptitude for certain elements and those are the elements they're most likely to employ. However, this is all based on my own personal opinion of how we should do things but Narutopedia seems to hand out elemental natures based solely upon usage alone and not anything else; and from that perspective it would indeed be appropriate to give Shikamaru the earth nature, because we've observed him using such a technique. --Njalm (talk) 13:33, May 18, 2013 (UTC)
- They used it, thus they can do Doton nature transformation, it's either an affinity of theirs or are skilled enough to employ more than a single nature with Doton included. There is no reason not to list them, they indeed used it.--Elveonora (talk) 13:38, May 18, 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah it's a little weird you and I agree on something, Elv, lol. But I'm with you 100% on this. If they use a Doton technique, they can clearly mold earth-based chakra. It doesn't have to be an affinity or something they worked for, as that all is irrelevant here. When Sasuke learned (and used) his first Raiton technique, for example, he was a user of Raiton. It is not limited to how many techniques, or how experienced they are in the basic nature. @Njalm, by what logic do you propose natures are handed out? What constitutes it? From my observational standpoint, albeit limited, I don't feel you have a grasp of how things work, this wiki aside. And of course this is not me being rude, just to point out (I am often told I am condescending).--184.108.40.206 (talk) 20:08, May 18, 2013 (UTC)
- It's possible they all have an Earth affinity, however Konoha shinobi typically have fire affinities. But that's beside the point. The jutsu they used was supposed to be the simplest of all Earth style jutsus. For example, when Sasuke learned his fireball technique, he was very young and didn't really go through any kind of nature training. He managed to use the fireball jutsu simply by repeating it many times. The Earth Wall jutsu could be simple enough for everyone who might have an Earth affinity to use without much training. That being said, I don't think every elemental jutsu requires a nature affinity to use it. Kakashi is pretty much capable of using almost all the elements for his jutsus thanks to his Sharingan. Supposedly only those with the Rinnegan can have the ability to use that many nature types which suggests that simple elemental jutsus don't rely on any kind of nature affinity. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 05:31, May 22, 2013 (UTC)
Some of you are a bit off. It isn't that merely learning basic nature transformation is difficult. You're confusing what Naruto was trying to do (building up his skill with nature transformation to combine it with the highest level of shape manipulation) with learning a new technique. Oh and the fact that they were being told an Earth Release technique that could "be done by anyone". Skitts (talk) 23:35, May 22, 2013 (UTC)
- You are off, first he had to manage to cut a leaf, only then could he combine that with Rasengan. You suggest that as long as there's little to no shape manipulation present, anyone can do natures. The walls looked defined enough to me though.--Elveonora (talk) 23:41, May 22, 2013 (UTC)
- That depends on which part such a person would be confusing. Are you referring to the leaf training, or otherwise? Even learning basic nature transformation is quite difficult, outside of ones affinity. It is partly the reason why Jounin generally have one to two nature types versus three or more. Naruto, even with the clones, took a tad bit of time with leaf training. Of course all of this is not relevant to the topic, but nevertheless. --Taynio (talk) 23:44, May 22, 2013 (UTC)
- What a straw-man you've constructed Elveonora. First off, I said nothing about there needing to be little to no shape manipulation present in order to perform basic nature manipulation. I was responding to something said above nature transformation "takes a huge amount of work", which isn't true. They're confusing Naruto's training (high nature manipulation with the highest shape manipulation) with what must be done by anyone (depending on the nature) with just anyone learning some basic techniques.. Naruto performed minute nature manipulation just when he managed to cut the leaf. And as Shika said, they were to be told the seals of an Earth Release technique that "anyone could perform", so clearly what I'm saying is indicated rather clearly, unless you're going to go against Occam's Razor in this case, and posit something very unlikely (that dozens or hundreds of people all were trained in Earth Release)? Skitts (talk) 23:52, May 22, 2013 (UTC)
A true problem solver sticks with every given problem, even at times when a solution does not seem apparent. He or she exercises total patience, assesses the situation and devises an airtight solution which shall invariably succeed to the very end of the scenario. Regardless of what scouting ratings and IQ tests results say, Shikamaru's intelligence is flawed. It does not require a rocket scientist to take note.
He is lazy simply because he is not smart enough to solve every single problem. He is emotionally stable, yet lacks the mental capacity necessary to concentrate and consistently devise thorough solutions which will invariably hold water to the very end of the given scenario.
There are times when he only devises only half baked remedies which serve only as immediate solutions. He executes the plan and gives up simply because he failed to arrive upon an actual solution from the very start. At such times, others are required to come in and solve the rest of the problem for him. He gives up simply because he lacks the intelligence necessary to think certain tactical aspects through.
He is brilliant in certain aspects, a tactical savant, a genius by his own unique merit. Still, he is flawed just like anyone else. His flaw does not lie in "laziness" alone.
He gave up at times as genin, this is enough to give it all away...