|This is the article on Zetsu's personal technique. If you are looking for the article on the general skill, head to Body Replacement Technique.|
|Rōmaji||Narikawari no Jutsu|
|Literal English||Substitute Technique|
|Viz manga||Substitution Jutsu|
|English TV||Body Substitution Jutsu|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #207|
|Movie||Naruto 6: Road to Ninja|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
|Classification||Ninjutsu, Clone Techniques|
This technique allows White Zetsu to create an exact copy of anyone, simply by contact. The user of this technique becomes a perfect duplicate, even possessing chakra identical to that of the one they are impersonating along with anything they might be wearing or carrying. They can also copy their victim's abilities to the extent of what is known to them. However, because the substitute is usually weak, it is often not strong enough to fight an extended battle; as such, its primary purpose is to function as a diversion.
To use this technique, the original White Zetsu would create clones to serve as substitutes; he was able to control these clones remotely and remained aware of their actions and experiences. The transformed clone would retain the appearance of the person they were impersonating even after death, reverting to their true form only after the technique was voluntarily released by White Zetsu. Once Orochimaru took over the body of a White Zetsu clone, he used this technique to take on his original appearance.
A variation of this technique is also used by the soldiers of the White Zetsu Army. Unlike the original's version, the technique is seemingly dispersed once the transformed clone is dealt a significant amount of damage or killed. These clones also demonstrated the ability to partially revert to their true forms while transformed.
- In the anime, this technique was shown to be activated by White Zetsu having a clone make physical contact with its target and transform. In the manga, it is not made clear whether this was the case or White Zetsu could simply create clones of others that he had previously touched.
- In the manga, the clone used as a substitute for Kisame Hoshigaki resembles a regular parasite clone. In the anime, however, the clone possesses the venus flytrap-like extensions that protrude from the side of the original White Zetsu and his black counterpart.
- In both the manga and anime, the transformed clones were shown to bleed when damaged. However, in Naruto 6: Road to Ninja, limbs severed from transformed clones were shown to leak a white substance, similar to Obito Uchiha's artificial arm. A clone was also shown to regenerate its lost limb upon reverting to its true form.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 473, pages 6-7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 558, page 16
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 279
- ↑ Naruto chapter 487, page 14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 505, page 11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 487, page 15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 487, pages 15-16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 619, page 1
- ↑ Naruto chapter 540, pages 8-9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 545, page 11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 558, page 14
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Naruto: Shippūden episode 217
- ↑ Naruto chapter 487, page 15