|Literal English||Sword hidden in the hand|
|Anime||Naruto Episode #1|
|Movie||Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow|
|Game||Naruto: Clash of Ninja|
|OVA||Find the Four-Leaf Red Clover!|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game and Movie|
Shuriken (手裏剣, Shuriken), like kunai, are one of the more basic weapons seen in Naruto series. They are sharpened, four-pronged metal stars, useful for throwing. They can also be used for close combat, but not very efficiently. Although small, they can be used to distract, pin down enemy shinobi, or if accurate enough, can kill or incapacitate an enemy. They have an open circle in the centre, useful for grabbing with a finger, to avoid cutting oneself, or to put thread through. The circle is also beneficial to the weapon's overall aerodynamics, ensuring more accurate trajectories.
Types of Shuriken
- In addition to the basic shuriken, larger, arm-length shuriken have been seen in the series. They are usually carried on the back or stored in scrolls.
- The Fūma Shuriken is of a similar size, but is more lethal and can be folded together for easier storage.
- The Demon Brothers wear a metal gauntlet each that houses a retractable shuriken chain.
- During the Chūnin Exams, one of the weapons Tenten threw at Temari was a fairly large shuriken that resembled a manji ('卍').
- The shuriken of the Land of Birds are a little bit different. It has three-pronged metal stars instead of four.
- Toroi of Kumogakure employs the use of slightly angular, square-shaped shuriken of varying sizes, ranging from those similar to the typically observed variant to ones nearly as large as his own person.
- Both Darui and Zabuza Momochi has been shown to use shuriken with bent or curved points, slightly resembling Manji.
- Shuriken with eight points have been shown.
- In the anime, a five-pointed shuriken was shown in a flashback.
- One of the weapons created by Iō was a useless shuriken that had so many points that it was impossible to grab.
- Another of the weapons created by Iō was a was a giant human-sized rocket-powered shuriken that the 'pilot' was strapped and used a built-in controller to control where it went. However it spun so fast that the user couldn't focus right and would get dizzy and couldn't control it properly.
Shuriken Launching Weapons
- Tessen Togeito used an unusual semi-circular launcher against Pain's Deva Path, containing a considerable quantity of shuriken, which could be launched simultaneously. This was achieved by holding onto a handle located at the crescents centre, while pulling out an attached length of chain in a manner similar to a ripcord that caused the shuriken to rotate, before firing the entirety in a single direction.
- Toroi used a simple length of cord to thread numerous shuriken together, in such a manner that the entirety could be released and thrown consecutively with just a single motion.
- When Hiruko declared war against the Five Great Shinobi Countries and Konohagakure was blamed for it, Sunagakure were seen preparing giant catapults with six giant shuriken loaded into each one in their attempt to attack Konoha.
- The shuriken used in the series are of the hira-shuriken variety; four-point star-shaped disks, rather than the bo-shuriken variety; which are straight, iron or steel throwing-spikes, similar to a senbon.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 1, page 27
- ↑ Naruto chapter 14, pages 13-14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 74, page 2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Naruto chapter 546, pages 1-3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 25, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 526, page 9
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Naruto: Shippūden episode 184
- ↑ Naruto chapter 423, page 2
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 159
- ↑ Naruto Shippūden 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire