- Name: Hermit Mode (仙人モード, Sennin Moodo; Viz "Honored Sage Mode"; Also known as Sage Mode)
- Type: Senjutsu, No rank, Supplementary
- Users: Jiraiya, Naruto Uzumaki
- Debut (Manga): Chapter 376
Hermit Mode is the result of using Senjutsu's natural energy along with a ninja's normal chakra in perfect balance.
To learn senjutsu, one must first learn to draw in the natural energy around them by remaining perfectly still. By stopping their own flow as a creature, they will begin to harmonize with the flow of nature. After feeling the flow, one must then learn to balance the external natural energy with their own chakra. Once this balance is achieved, they will enter a state called Hermit Mode, allowing them to use senjutsu.
The fastest method of learning to balance the three energies is applying the Secret Toad's Oil from the Myobokuzan Mountain onto one's skin. It can help the user feel the natural energy around them before they learn to remain perfectly still. However, there is a great risk in implementing the oil and drawing in natural energy. If one draws in too little, Hermit Mode cannot be achieved. If one draws in too much, they will turn into a toad. If one attempts to continue the senjutsu training and fails, they will turn into solid stone. They essentially become a part of nature. Furthermore, moving while drawing in natural energy causes an uncontrollable inflow of natural energy, thus initiating the Toad Transformation as well.im bored bull crap
Imperfect Hermit Mode
Though he was capable of fully utilizing the abilities of senjutsu, Jiraiya never fully mastered the art of balancing his own internal chakra with that of the external natural energy he took in. because of this when Jiraiya was using Hermit Mode, he drew additional lines on his cheeks and summoned the two Toad Elders, Shima and Fukasaku to assist him in battle. The Toad Elders fused to Jiraiya's shoulders with Hermit's Art: Amphibian Technique, gathering natural energy from their stationary positions for Jiraiya's use.
As a result of the toad-fusion (and the imperfect nature of his transformation), Jiraiya took a number of frog-like traits when using Hermit Mode. His appearance was altered (he has a bigger nose, a goatee and his eyes are like a toads). Further transformational attributes include him crouching and his body taking on even more toad-like qualities: his hands and feet become toad-like, the lines on his face also become much thicker, taking over each side of his face. Because of these traits Jiraiya didn't like to use Hermit Mode as it "scared off the ladies". Such a transformation is an Imperfect Hermit Mode.
True Hermit Mode
Naruto later learns to enter Hermit Mode. He seemed to be more skilled when training, being said to be learning faster than Jiraiya did (this could be attributed to his use of shadow clones). Because he cannot gather natural energy while fighting, Naruto tried to use Hermit's Art: Amphibian Technique to fuse with Fukasaku as Jiraiya had done. The Nine-Tailed Demon Fox sealed within him made this impossible, so he had to resort to having shadow clones gather natural energy and then disperse when he needs to use senjutsu.
Because he has perfected the mode and because he is not fusing with a toad, the only physical changes Naruto receives are his toad-like eyes. Fukasaku mentions that these are always present in Hermit Mode, and is the sign of a true hermit.
- The user's physical strength, speed, and durability drastically increase.
- The user's other ninjutsu and genjutsu become more powerful.
- The user can have the natural energy surrounding them become an extension of their body, increasing the reach of their taijutsu.
- The user gains the ability to sense chakra.
- The user gets stronger as time passes instead of weaker, in turn healing any injuries they receive.
- Demonic Illusion: Toad Confrontation Singing
- Hermit's Art: Amphibian Technique
- Hermit's Art: Frog Call
- Hermit's Art: Goemon
- Hermit's Art: Great Ball Rasengan
- Hermit's Art: Hair Needle Barrage
- Hermit's Art: Wind Release Dust Cloud
- Hermit Technique: Rasenrengan
- Frog Katas
- Super Great Ball Rasengan
- Wind Release: Rasenshuriken (Perfected Version)
- ↑ Third Datatbook, page 279