|This is the article on the technique used by tailed beasts. If you are looking for the article on the manga chapter, head to The Tailed Beast Ball.|
|Tailed Beast Ball |
|Literal English||Tailed Beast Ball|
|Viz print media||Biju Bomb|
|English anime||Tailed Beast Bomb|
|English games||Menacing Ball (威鞠, Imari), Fake Fox Blast (虚狗砲, Kokuhō, Literally meaning: Hollow Canine Cannon), Chakra Cannon (チャクラ砲, Chakurahō)|
|Manga||Volume #33, Chapter #295|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #42|
|Movie||Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja 5|
|OVA||Naruto Shippūden: UNSG anime cutscenes|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
To form the attack, the user must gather both positive black chakra (+の黒チャクラ, purasu no kuro chakura), and negative white chakra (−の白チャクラ, mainasu no shiro chakura), then shape it into a sphere. The black and white chakra needs to be balanced at an 8:2 ratio respectively or it will backfire. The ball can be fired differently, either in sphere form, which can be detonated for a wave explosion or launched to form a dome-shaped blast which flattens and erases everything around it, or as a concentrated beam of energy which gives it explosive penetrative power. A Tailed Beast Ball is incredibly dense, as when Naruto Uzumaki in his four-tailed form created one, the ground around him sunk beneath his weight after he swallowed it. When used in close proximity to other tailed beasts performing the technique, the Tailed Beast Balls can be combined, vastly increasing the attack's destructive power and size. Despite its density, the Tailed Beast Ball is extremely fast when launched, able to cross an entire sea in a few seconds despite its trajectory being altered by Summoning: Quintuple Rashōmon when used by Kurama or when the Ten-Tails uses it on the entire continent in minutes.
The power of the attack is relative to the power of the user. A fully charged Tailed Beast Ball from Gyūki can fill an entire valley with the explosion as well as plough through a multiple layered barrier. Kurama's own Tailed Beast Ball can create an explosion that is far larger than the Hokage Rock and the mountains around it, as well as equal the size and power of a combined ball formed by five other tailed beasts. Individual Tailed Beast Balls from Matatabi, Isobu, Kokuō, Saiken, and Chōmei seem to be on the same level of destructive power since they all easily vaporised large mountains after Naruto deflected them with his speed and strength.
Apart from the Ten-Tails, some tailed beasts have demonstrated the ability to 'supercharge' a Tailed Beast Ball, creating one several times their own size. When used by the Ten-Tails in its mature form, its Tailed Beast Ball, taking a conical shape, could destroy an entire city and mountain ranges some distance away, and create massive tidal waves from the ocean, with the explosions being seen from extremely far away.
The tailed beasts' jinchūriki can also use this ability, though they need to be in their full tailed beast forms. Should the jinchūriki lose control of their tailed beasts, they can perform this technique despite not being fully transformed, as seen when Naruto used it in his Version 2 form. Though in the Version 2 state, the Tailed Beast Ball is substantially weaker than when used by the full beast, as shown by Killer B's and Blue B's usage when the latter was brought back by Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation in the anime  or Naruto's usage when he was in his Version 2 state.
When used by Naruto while in the human form of his Tailed Beast Mode, Naruto holds his hands out to form the ball with or without Kurama being fully manifested. Like Kurama, he can also create a 'supercharged' Tailed Beast Ball as strong as a collaborated one from five Tailed Beasts with ease and swiftness. Even when Kurama is partially manifested, Naruto can create a Tailed Beast Ball the size of Gyūki extremely quickly. After Kurama permits Naruto to use Sage Mode while in Tailed Beast Mode, Naruto learns to infuse natural energy with the Tailed Beast Ball, making it effective and strong enough to damage Obito Uchiha's Truth-Seeking Balls. Minato Namikaze can also perform the Tailed Beast Ball while fully transformed.
Obito's use of the Tailed Beast Ball is rather unique as well. He can create a tree which forms the Tailed Beast Balls all at once from four different directions.
Utilisation of senjutsu chakra has been shown to drastically improve the Tailed Beast Ball. Naruto first created this in his Tailed Beast Sage Mode in the battle against Obito, and again while using his Six Paths Sage Mode in his clash with Sasuke. When enhanced by Naruto's Sage Mode, Kurama's Tailed Beast Balls proved strong enough to launch the Statue of the Ōtsutsuki Clan through the moon and into orbit with a single blast.
Video Games Variations
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Gyūki performs a lightning-element version of this technique.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, the character Masked Man's ultimate technique consists of summoning a controlled Nine-Tails, who launches a Tailed Beast Ball against the opponent.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Saiken performs a variation of this technique, utilising Utakata's Soap Bubble Ninjutsu.
- According to Gyūki, using this technique feels very much like vomiting.
- Shukaku uses Wind Release: Drilling Air Bullet, a technique of compressed air mixed with chakra from its gut instead of drawing together raw chakra, similar to the Tailed Beast Ball. However, Killer B implied that all tailed beasts can do the Tailed Beast Ball, and Shukaku simply wasn't out long enough to perform the attack when it fought against Naruto and Gamabunta. In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Gaara is able to form Shukaku's head out of the sand, which gathers enough chakra to create the Tailed Beast Ball.
- Minato Namikaze based the Rasengan off of the Tailed Beast Ball. Killer B observes that the process for forming a Rasengan is exactly the same as forming a Tailed Beast Ball. However, the addition of chakra rotation is necessary to control the Ball without being in tailed beast form.
- In the anime, Sora, who has some of Kurama's chakra sealed in him, used a weaker Tailed Beast Ball. However, he was not in control of himself when he used the technique.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Kizuna Drive, a beast known as the Three-Heads is shown using a technique similar to a Tailed Beast Ball. However, it isn't shown forming a chakra ball and only the beam is seen.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Orochimaru is capable of using a Tailed Beast Ball-like attack when using his Eight Branches Technique.
- In a trailer for J-Stars Victory VS, Naruto's Tailed Beast Ball has a yellow and white colour, but in the anime, it is purple and black.
- In the manga, the Tailed Beast Ball is depicted as a dense, black object even after being fired, while in the anime its turned into a red energy ball.
- In Boruto: Naruto the Movie, Momoshiki Ōtsutsuki was able to use this technique after absorbing it in a fight against the Eight-Tails.
- In the anime, the Genjutsu World version of the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path is able to use this technique.
- ↑ Fourth Databook, pages 282-283
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Chapter 519, pages 16-17
- ↑ Chapter 295, pages 4-5
- ↑ Chapter 571, pages 11-12
- ↑ Chapter 621, page 2-8
- ↑ Chapter 613, pages 11-15
- ↑ Chapter 414, pages 6-9
- ↑ Chapter 536, page 8
- ↑ Chapter 502, pages 7-8
- ↑ Chapter 571, page 12
- ↑ Chapter 571, page 3
- ↑ Chapter 499
- ↑ Chapter 609
- ↑ Chapter 630
- ↑ Chapter 613, pages 8-12
- ↑ Chapter 519, page 9
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 318
- ↑ Chapter 295, pages 6-11
- ↑ Chapter 571, page 13
- ↑ Chapter 598, page 10
- ↑ Chapter 572, page 1-3
- ↑ Chapter 598, page 12
- ↑ Chapter 645, page 12
- ↑ Chapter 649, pages 4-5
- ↑ Chapter 645, page 12
- ↑ Chapter 643, page 7
- ↑ Chapter 645, page 10
- ↑ Chapter 695, page 13
- ↑ The Last: Naruto the Movie
- ↑ Chapter 519, page 12
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 71
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 430