|Mind Body Switch Technique |
1 of 2
|Rōmaji||Shintenshin no Jutsu|
|Literal English||Mind Body Switch Technique|
|Viz manga||Art of the Valentine|
|English TV||Ninja Art: Mind Transfer Jutsu|
|Anime||Naruto Episode #24|
|Movie||Naruto Shippūden 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire|
|Game||Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
|Range||Short to Mid range|
|Hand seals||Technique specific hand seal|
The Mind Body Switch Technique is the signature ability of the Yamanaka clan. Originally, this ninjutsu was suited for intelligence-gathering missions rather than battle. With it, a ninja sends his mind into a target's body supplanting the target's mind with their own. The user transfers their consciousness to the target, giving them complete control of the body for a short period of time. While in control of the body, the user is able to communicate with the target. As the user propels all of their mental energy, the shooting range and number of hits are considerably limited. It is also possible for the user to switch bodies with the target. This has great strategic value when used on a team-mate as neither body is left incapacitated and they may also make use of the user's abilities as well as their own while doing this. To remain inconspicuous when spying, the user can perform this technique on an animal, such as a hawk, which they can use to do aerial reconnaissance.
Normally, their original body is left defenceless while this technique is active, leaving it susceptible to attack until they return. The mind transfer moves in a straight direction and takes some time to return to the user's body if it misses. Because of these reasons, it should only be used on immobilised targets. Similarly, if the opponent's will is strong enough, they can force the user from their body, as Sakura Haruno did to Ino Yamanaka during the Chūnin Exams. Lastly, should any physical injury befall the victim's body while the mind-link is active, it would cause the user's body to also receive those same injuries. This can be rectified if user cancels the technique before the victim's body receives the damage.
- In Naruto Shippūden 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire, Ino uses a different hand seal to perform this technique.
- In the spin-off series Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden, Ino uses a variation of the technique called Mind Reverse Body Technique (心逆身の術, Shingyakushin no Jutsu), which switches the minds of two separate targets, instead of her own.
- In the anime, Ino Yamanaka was not able to use this technique on Sora when he was in his one-tailed form. However, in the manga, during the Fourth Shinobi World War she was able to use it on Kinkaku who was in his six-tailed, Version 2 form. Both characters are classified as pseudo-jinchūriki.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 First Databook, page 200
- ↑ Naruto chapter 533, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 523, page 8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 332, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 73, page 8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 471, page 7
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 69
- ↑ Naruto chapter 529, page 16