|This is the article on Menma from the movie. If you are looking for the article on Menma from the anime, head to Menma. For other uses, see Menma (disambiguation).|
|うずまきメンマ Uzumaki Menma
|Movie||Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie|
|Tailed Beast||Black Nine-Tails (Forms)|
Menma (メンマ, Menma), a character that appears in Naruto 6: Road to Ninja, is the son of Kushina Uzumaki and Minato Namikaze in the alternate universe of Konohagakure, thus making him the "Naruto Uzumaki" of that world. He is also the jinchūriki of Kurama's counterpart, the Black Nine-Tails (黒九尾, Kuro Kyūbi).
Menma looks virtually identical to Naruto, though his blond hair has become black as a result of merging with Tobi, and he wears it in a longer and more shaggy-looking style, similar to his father's. He also has darker and more feral-looking whisker marks, and dark circles under his eyes.
When initially appearing as the mysterious "Masked Man," he wore a white kitsune mask, a dark blue-gray robe with gray lining and a fur collar, and a tattered gray-blue cape emblazoned with his personal emblem: a mandala comprised of nine reddish-brown circles of varying sizes atop a larger green-grey circle. After revealing his identity he discarded the robe and mask, beneath which he wore no shirt, fingerless opera-length black gloves wrapped in studded red-brown leather straps, baggy black pants, and red-brown sandals.
Unlike Naruto, Menma lacks the Eight Trigrams Seal that restrains the Black Nine-Tails and doesn't display any kind of tailed beast transformations during the film. Rather, he is able to completely unleash the fox, using it in a manner similar to a summon.
Nine Masked Beasts
Main article: Nine Masked Beasts Menma's hatred has allowed him to bond with and better control the Black Nine-Tails, and he is able to create and control living entities composed of its chakra, which are known as the Nine Masked Beasts (九面獣, Kyūmenjū). Five of the creatures are described as divine beasts (神獣, shinjū), while the other four are referred to as divine priests (神官, shinkan). When defeated, their true forms are revealed to simply be nine masked fox kits (子狐, kogitsune), each possessing a single tail, a result of the Black Nine-Tails' chakra being divided into nine beings.
Menma's abilities are essentially the same as Naruto's, and he has developed dark versions of Naruto's signature techniques called Spiralling Ring and Great Spiralling Ring. After merging with Tobi, his right eye develops into a Sharingan, allowing him to predict all his opponents movements and copy any techniques.
- "Menma" is the name of a Japanese condiment which is also found in ramen. This is a parallel to where Naruto's name originates.
- Menma's personality can be compared to that of Dark Naruto.
- Among the Nine Masked Beasts that Menma created from the Black Nine-Tails' chakra, four of the divine beasts are based on the Four Symbols, a set of Chinese constellations, and two of the divine priests are based on the heavenly messengers and death god of Japanese folklore. Kinja, which somewhat resembles Huang Long, and Hokuto Sennin and Nanto Sennin, which are named after the Northern and Southern Dippers, are original concepts designed to round out the group.
- Menma is the only Genjutsu World counterpart whose name is different from his real self.
- The point where Menma uses his Great Spiralling Ring to destroy most of Konoha is similar to Pain's attack on Konoha.