Lava Release (熔遁; 溶遁, Yōton, Viz: Corrosion Style" or "Lava Style) is an advanced nature kekkei genkai that combines fire and earth-based chakra to create lava and related substances that can serve multi-faceted purposes.
- When used by Kirigakure's Mei Terumī, it takes its most commonly known form of molten rock.
- As used by Son Gokū and its jinchūriki Rōshi from Iwagakure, it is used in the form of molten rock, though seemingly more viscous than Mei's.
- Kurotsuchi of Iwagakure's Lava Release takes the form of quicklime, which is a corrosive substance.
- Several other dozen other members of Iwagakure have shown the ability to use this same variation of Lava Release.
- Dodai of Kumogakure also uses this kekkei genkai which takes the form of vulcanised rubber.
- When Rōshi's Lava Release is first referred to, the kanji 熔, with the radical for "fire" (火), is used. In later references when Mei's is used, the kanji 溶, with the radical for "water" (水), is used instead. When both Kurotsuchi and Dodai used it, it was once again with the fire radical. This seems to indicate that the Lava Release from Iwagakure and Kumogakure uses the fire radical, while the Lava Release from Kirigakure uses the water radical. However, in the data and fan books, both kanji have been used to refer to Rōshi's Lava Release.
- Nowadays, the two kanji are synonyms and used interchangeably, with 溶 being the more common variant. However, there seems to be a subtle difference in meaning between the two. The kanji with the fire radical seems to be used more often in words relating to metal and other solids, whereas the kanji with the water radical is more often used in words relating to liquids.
- This kekkei genkai element shows the most different users with no known blood connection to each other.
- Lava Release shares the same romanisation as Yang Release.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 612, page 11