|Please note that this is the Narutopedia's article on the genjutsu used by Shisui Uchiha. If you are looking for the article on the chapter then you should head to Kotoamatsukami.|
|Literal English||Distinguished Heavenly Gods|
|English TV||Koto Amatsukami|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #201|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Impact|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga and Game|
|Classification||Kekkei Genkai, Genjutsu, Dōjutsu|
Kotoamatsukami is the ultimate genjutsu granted by Shisui Uchiha's Mangekyō Sharingan. The technique itself allows the user to enter the opponent's mind and manipulate them by giving them false experiences, making it seem as if they were doing things of their own free will. It is regarded as a genjutsu of the highest class, due to the victim being entirely unaware that they are being manipulated.
As a testament to its power it was strong enough to even negate Kabuto Yakushi's control over the reincarnated Itachi Uchiha, in spite of the former's authority being considered almost absolute. After the technique is used, it requires around a decade before it can be used again, but this period can be drastically reduced through the possession of Hashirama Senju's cells, as observed by Danzō Shimura's use. However, despite the additional stamina granted by Hashirama's cells, it is asserted that this technique still can't be used multiple times in a single day.
Danzō gained access to this dōjutsu by taking and later implanting Shisui's Sharingan into his own right eye-socket while Shisui was still alive. Shisui entrusted his remaining Sharingan to Itachi Uchiha, who implanted it into the eye belonging to one of his crows. This crow was later forcibly stored inside Naruto Uzumaki and rigged to emerge only in response to confronting Itachi's Mangekyō Sharingan. Upon activation, Itachi rigged the eye itself so that the genjutsu would give the order "protect Konoha" to whomever was affected by it. Itachi intended this to be used on his brother, in the eventuality that he turned against the village and assumed that he would have transplanted his eyes in order to obtain an Eternal Mangekyō Sharingan by then. The technique was instead used on Itachi himself, after being reincarnated and inadvertently using his Mangekyō Sharingan when encountering Naruto during the Fourth Shinobi World War.
The Kotoamatsukami (別天津神; Literally meaning "Distinguished Heavenly Gods") are a group of five Shintō gods that appeared at the beginning of the universe. When the Heavens and Earth were created, three of these gods came down from the Takamagahara (高天原; Literally meaning "High Heavenly Plains") as so-called 'single gods' (独神, hitorigami): gods that did not appear as a husband-wife duo. These three gods are called the 'Three Gods of Creation' (造化の三神, Zōka no Sanshin) and where:
- Ame-no-Minakanushi-no-Kami (天之御中主神), the supreme god.
- Takamimusuhi-no-Kami (高御産巣日神), the god of conquest and rule.
- Kamimusuhi-no-Kami (神産巣日神), the god of birth.
After them, when the land was formed and sea was rising to the surface, two more gods appeared:
- Umashiashikabihikoji-no-Kami (宇摩志阿斯訶備比古遅神)
- Ame-no-Tokotachi-no-Kami (天之常立神)
These five gods have a special place among the Heavenly Gods (天津神, Amatsukami), hence their name: Distinguished Heavenly Gods (別天津神, Kotoamatsukami). After them came the 'Seven Generations of the Age of Gods' (神世七代, Kamiyo Nanayo), the last of which were Izanagi and Izanami, who were responsible for creating the Japanese archipelago.
- Unlike a number of other Sharingan related techniques, this ability seemingly doesn't require direct eye contact, as Danzō never removed the bandages that hid it from view.
- The Fifth Mizukage commented that she couldn't help but conclude that there was a connection between this technique and the power that controlled Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage.
- With Danzō crushing the eye he took from Shisui and Itachi burning the remaining one along with one of his crows, this technique may have become lost forever as no other known Uchiha acquired it after awakening the Mangekyō Sharingan.