1 of 2
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #138|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3|
|OVA||Naruto Shippūden: UNSG anime cutscenes|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game|
Kirin is an extremely powerful, one-shot, lightning technique created by Sasuke Uchiha. He draws natural lightning directly from thunder clouds to supplement the power of his strike and controls it with chakra. Unlike most techniques, which are based on the user's chakra, this one uses natural lightning, which — as noted by Zetsu — reaches the ground in 1/1000th of a second. However, the preparation time required also decreases the technique's efficiency. If there are no active thunder clouds, the user must create them by using powerful fire techniques to produce the necessary storm conditions.
Once a lightning source has been acquired, shaping and guiding the lightning to the target requires very little chakra. In addition, usage seems to disperse the thunder clouds as the sky cleared up of clouds after use. As such, this technique can only be used once in a fight. The technique can completely obliterate a mountain.
- In Japanese mythology, the Kirin is considered a holy creature, whose cry is a musical scale and whose footprints are perfect circles. It is very peaceful and careful, capable of walking on water and on grass without bending the blades. It doesn't eat meat either. It only appears in places ruled by a benevolent and wise leader and is well-known for punishing the wicked.
- In Japan, the kirin is considered as the most powerful and divine as opposed to the hōō, the ruler of birds — and is usually placed above all other mythological creatures, including the ryū and hōō. It can live up to a millennium and wounding one or coming across its corpse is considered a bad omen.
- Kirin (キリン, Kirin) is also the Japanese word for "giraffe".
- In the anime, Sasuke raised his hand to the sky to use a technique during his first reunion with Team Kakashi, but was stopped by Orochimaru from using it. There is a possibility that technique was Kirin.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 and Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, Sasuke has three chances of hitting the opponent, with lightning from the sky, which when hit, will execute Kirin.
- The word "kirin" (麒麟, Chi: qílín) actually consists of two kanji where "麒" (ki, Chi: qí) is kanji for male kirin and "麟" (rin, Chi: lín) is kanji for female kirin.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3, Sasuke can use Kirin using his sword.
- ↑ Third Databook, page 247