|This is the article on the Hidden Village. If you are looking for the article on the shinobi, head to Kiri.|
Kirigakure (霧隠れの里, Kirigakure no Sato, Literally meaning: Village Hidden by Mist) is the shinobi village located in the Land of Water. As one of the Five Great Shinobi Countries, Kirigakure has a Kage as its leader known as the Mizukage. There have been five Mizukage, the current one being Mei Terumī. An unusually high number of missing-nin seem to originate from this village and as such a unique classification of ANBU known as hunter-nin are specifically tasked with eliminating these defectors.
The standard attire in this village revolves mainly around a stripped material which the shiniobi wear around their wrists and legs which merge into their sandals. Underneath this, they wear a full-black shirt and pants over which they wear the villages's standard grey flak jacket The shinobi from this village are very proficient with Water Release techniques.
Kirigakure's architecture is composed of several cylindrical buildings, with the Mizukage's office being the widest and largest. Befitting its name, the village is surrounded by a thick mist, with several mountains in the background, making it difficult to find by foreigners.
Little of Kirigakure's early history is known. The village partook in the Third Shinobi World War and faced both Kakashi and Rin, the latter of which was killed by a tearful Kakashi via Chidori for unknown reasons. Despite no other known involvement in the first three ninja wars, Konoha ninja consistently praise Kirigakure's military.
Kirigakure does seem to have experienced a number of internal conflicts. The Kaguya clan once waged war against Kirigakure to quench their lust for battle. They were slaughtered by the village's superior forces. Because of the efficiency on the battlefield those with kekkei genkai have had in times of war, Kirigakure ninja and most other citizens of the Land of Water are suspicious of those with genetic abilities, and in fact have persecuted them in the past.
During the reign of Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage, Kirigakure began using a new graduation ritual for their academy: death matches for students who wish to move on into the ranks of ninja. This act earned the village the infamous nickname "Village of the Bloody Mist" (血霧の里, Chigiri no sato). Students who did exceptionally well during the graduation became prime candidates for the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist, a group of ninja skilled with bladed weapons. Though this practice was eventually discontinued after Zabuza Momochi slaughtered his entire graduating class, Yagura's term as Mizukage caused great turmoil for the village: ninja began craving power and taking part in questionable activities in Zabuza's case when he attempted to assassinate the Mizukage. Kisame Hoshigaki, a member of the Seven Swordsmen who was disillusioned by the corruption, was among those who knew the truth that Yagura was being influenced by Tobi yet sided with the masked ninja and eventually defected after he tried to overthrow the government and assassinated several officials. Because of this association, many believed the Akatsuki was created in Kirigakure rather than Amegakure. In the anime, ten years before the Shinobi Alliance was formed, it was revealed that Kirigakure bore a grudge against Iwagakure for the event known as the Tragedy of Yosuga Pass where the Iwa ninja caused the deaths of Junsai and Suiren to take an important scroll that the Iwa ninja helped them and Ganryū steal from Kumogakure.
Kirigakure had two tailed beasts in its possession: the Three-Tails and the Six-Tails. The Three-Tails was sealed within Yagura, though by the time Akatsuki went after it, it was roaming free. The Six-Tails' host, Utakata, was captured and had his tailed beast extracted by Akatsuki. Utakata's capture is the subject of its own arc in the anime.
- The village is named after Saizō Kirigakure of the Sanada Ten Braves, a group of legendary ninja that served under daimyō Yukimura Sanada during Japan's Warring States period, and rival to his comrade Sasuke Sarutobi. His surname is a play on his associated with fog and illusions. The village's trademark technique, Hiding in Mist Technique also plays on Saizō's ability.
- The second fanbook gives Kirigakure a population size of two out of five stars, a military strength of three out of five stars, and an economic strength of two out of five stars.
- Kirigakure does not seem to have a ninja registration system.
- Despite the persecution of people with kekkei genkai in the past, the village's current Mizukage has two kekkei genkai.
- During the second fight between Zabuza Momochi and Kakashi Hatake, the former used a kunai with an edge of the blade curving inward, making the point sharper and more suited for stabbing or thrusting. Later in the anime, this blade was depicted as Kirigakure's special variation of the standard kunai.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 458, page 10