|Please note that this is the Narutopedia's article on the mother of the Sand Siblings. If you are looking for the article on the anime only technique then you should head to Fire Release Co-Operation Technique: Garuda. For other uses, see Garuda.|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #297|
|Appears in||Anime and Manga|
Karura (加流羅, Karura) was a Sunagakure citizen.
Married to the Fourth Kazekage, Karura bore him Temari and Kankurō prior to being pregnant with their youngest child Gaara. Apparently against her husband's wishes, Karura was forced to allow the tailed beast Shukaku to be sealed within their unborn son. However, this came at a very steep cost as Gaara's premature birth was also marked by her untimely death. Before her death, however, with her medical team unable to save her, and her heart rate falling rapidly, Karura requested to see her child. Seeing how small and feeble the young Gaara was, Karura declared her desire to protect him at all cost as she cradled him before passing away.
Karura was a kind and gentle woman who cared deeply for her children and family.
Karura had shoulder-length, sandy-brown hair which framed her kind-looking face, and indigo-coloured eyes. She wore a simple outfit along with a long, yellow scarf draped loosely around her neck.
Originally, due to maternal uncle Yashamaru reluctantly lying to his nephew on his brother in law's behalf to test him, Gaara was under the impression that Karura was sacrificed to ensure he became a jinchūriki and that her final words were of him to become the tool of her revenge on Sunagakure. She supposedly named him after the phrase "a self-loving carnage" (我を愛する修羅, Ware wo ai suru shura). This caused Gaara to develop a warped ideology of love. But during the Fourth Shinobi World War, Gaara learned the truth of his father's deception and how Karura truly died. Because of her dying wish to protect her son, both the Fourth Kazekage and Yashamaru believe that her will now lives on in the sand that protects Gaara rather than being an manifestation of Shukaku's chakra.
- Karura's name is written with three kanji: the kanji for "to add," "to increase" (加), the kanji for "flow," "stream" (流), and the kanji for "gauze" (羅). The last kanji is the same as the final kanji in Gaara's name and can be taken as an abbreviation of the word "carnage" (修羅, shura) or the word "Mara" (魔羅, Mara, a Buddhist demon that personifies the "death" of spiritual life). Together, the name can be interpreted as "the demon who adds to the flow [of sand or hatred]".
- When written as 迦楼羅, "karura" is the Japanese name for Garuda.
- While Karura's blood type isn't given in her databook profile, it can be determined to be type B, due to her children and husband's blood types and how it is inherited.
- In chapters 547 and 548, Karura's name is written as 加瑠羅 instead of 加流羅. Both 瑠 and 流 can be used to write the Japanese word for lapis lazuli (瑠璃, 琉璃, ruri), a semi-precious stone with strong symbolic value in Buddhism. It is thought to have healing and strengthening properties and represents Bhaiṣajyaguru, the Buddha of Medicine, known as Yakushi-nyōrai (薬師如来) in Japan.
- (To Gaara) "What a small, feeble child… No matter what happens, I'll always protect you! Gaara…!"