Ice Release (氷遁, Hyōton, Viz: Ice Style) is a combined nature transformation which is the kekkei genkai of the Yuki clan, as well as a rare kekkei genkai of the Land of Snow shinobi. It allows the user to freely create and manipulate ice by simultaneously combining wind and water-based chakra. When the user releases their chakra, the surrounding vicinity becomes cold enough to cause snow to fall. The ice Haku creates is also extremely resistant to fire-based attacks, only melting slightly when coming into contact with Sasuke's flames. As shown by Haku, as a child, he could also manipulate the form of nearby water. Additionally, any nearby water is an advantage, as the user can simply freeze that water to create ice. Using his special ability, Haku developed the Demonic Mirroring Ice Crystals, which allowed him to create any number of floating mirrors made of ice to use as a shield or trap an opponent.
- In Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, several of the Yukigakure ninja also had the ability to use Ice Release techniques. However, this was not the product of a similar kekkei genkai, as demonstrated by Kakashi's ability to replicate one of these techniques with his Sharingan. Unlike Haku, who could create his own ice, the Yukigakure ninja had to manipulate pre-existing ice. The Yukigakure ninja could also manipulate snow, and most of their techniques were used with the Dog hand seal. Dotō Kazahana, in particular, manipulated a special type of snow that was black in colour.
- The Viz manga translation for Ice Release was initially translated as "Haku's Secret Arts of Water". Later on in the series, with the revealing of new kekkei genkai, the Viz manga translation was given as "Ice Style" to maintain uniformity.
- In the Peddlers Escort Mission, the main villain Renga also used a technique using ice. He could crystallise the water vapour around him into ice so transparent that it would be practically invisible to the naked eye. However, this technique was never mentioned to be an Ice Release technique.
- In the novelisation of Boruto: Naruto the Movie, Katasuke could use Ice Release through his Kote, which took the form of an absolute zero degree blizzard.
- In Sasuke Shinden: The Teacher's Star Pupil, Sasuke combines Water Release and Wind Release to create a makeshift Ice Release, similar to Darui's Lightning Release: Wave of Inspiration.