The Hokage (火影; Literally meaning "Fire Shadow") are the leaders of Konohagakure. They are generally acknowledged as the strongest in the village, although ideology and renown plays a large part in their being chosen for the position. Four shinobi and one kunoichi have gained this title so far, with another shinobi gaining the title of Hokage Candidate.
The title and role was created by Hashirama Senju shortly after the establishment of Konoha. Generally, the new Hokage is selected by the current Hokage upon their retirement, but if the old Hokage dies or is incapacitated before being able to do so, the Fire Daimyō will appoint a Hokage Candidate upon the recommendation of the Konoha council and the Fire Daimyō council. Afterwards, the candidate will need to be approved by the jōnin of the village to become officially Hokage.
After being approved, they move into the Hokage Residence to live in and have their faces carved out in the monument behind it. If the former Hokage is still alive, they will generally keep helping out, making the transition easier and more stable. The Hokage carry their title for life, even after retiring from active duty. The Hokage's office is located in the administrative section of the Academy.
List of Hokage Edit
First Hokage Edit
Main article: Hashirama Senju Hashirama Senju (千手柱間, Senju Hashirama) renowned as the God of Shinobi (忍の神, Shinobi no Kami), was a legendary ninja who hailed from the Senju clan that together with the Uchiha clan, established the first shinobi village: Konohagakure. He would later go on to become the village's First Hokage (初代火影, Shodai Hokage; Literally meaning "First or Founding Fire Shadow").
Second Hokage Edit
Main article: Tobirama Senju Tobirama Senju (千手扉間, Senju Tobirama) was the Second Hokage (二代目火影, Nidaime Hokage; Literally meaning "Second Fire Shadow") of Konohagakure. He hails from the Senju clan, who, along with the Uchiha clan, founded the first shinobi village: Konoha. During his reign, Tobirama was accredited as the Hokage that developed the village's organisational system as well as some of its infrastructure.
Third Hokage Edit
Main article: Hiruzen Sarutobi Hiruzen Sarutobi (猿飛ヒルゼン, Sarutobi Hiruzen) was the Third Hokage (三代目火影, Sandaime Hokage; Literally meaning "Third Fire Shadow") who hailed from Konohagakure's Sarutobi clan. He was part of Team Tobirama alongside Homura Mitokado and Koharu Utatane under the leadership of the Second Hokage. He was also trained by the First Hokage and would later become the teacher of the Legendary Sannin Tsunade, Jiraiya, and Orochimaru and the third man to hold the title God of Shinobi (忍の神, Shinobi no Kami).
Fourth Hokage Edit
Main article: Minato Namikaze Minato Namikaze (波風ミナト, Namikaze Minato), renowned as Konoha's Yellow Flash (木ノ葉の黄色い閃光, Konoha no Kiiroi Senkō; English "Yellow Flash of the Leaf"), was a legendary shinobi who became the Fourth Hokage (四代目火影, Yondaime Hokage; Literally meaning "Fourth Fire Shadow") of Konohagakure.
Fifth Hokage Edit
Main article: Tsunade Tsunade (綱手, Tsunade) is the Fifth Hokage (五代目火影, Godaime Hokage; Literally meaning "Fifth Fire Shadow") of Konohagakure — a position which she succeeded after the death of her teacher, Hiruzen Sarutobi, and a major supporting character of the series. She hails from the village's Senju clan, and is also a descendant of the Uzumaki clan through her grandmother Mito. Along with former team-mates Jiraiya and Orochimaru, she is recognised as one of the "Three Legendary Shinobi" (伝説の三忍, Densetsu no Sannin). Tsunade is considered to be the most powerful kunoichi in the world, and is celebrated as the greatest medical-nin of all time, credited with creating the official system which governs them.
Other Hokage Edit
Sixth Hokage Candidate Edit
Main article: Danzō Shimura Danzō Shimura (志村ダンゾウ, Shimura Danzō) reputed as The Darkness of the Shinobi (忍の闇, Shinobi no Yami) — due to what was often seen as his militant and archaic views on the role of a shinobi — was a anti-heroic shinobi from the Shimura clan and an elder of Konohagakure. He was also the leader of the disbanded ANBU faction: "Root". He was later appointed as the official Sixth Hokage Candidate (六代目火影候補, Rokudaime Hokage Kōho) after Pain's invasion, but died before he officially entered the office of Hokage.
Alternate Fourth Hokage Edit
- Hashirama Senju was the one to coin the term "Hokage", and actually intended the position to be held by Madara Uchiha. The decision, however, was left up to public consensus, and Hashirama was chosen for the position.
- All of the former Hokage have been sealed away in the stomach of the Death God summoning. Kabuto Yakushi notes that none of them can be reincarnated via the Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation technique. All four, however, were eventually freed by Orochimaru from the Shinigami's stomach, and reincarnated by him.
- At least four of the Hokage had their official office photographs taken while wearing a ceremonial necklace of sorts.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, was said to be the strongest Hokage in the village's history, as well as strongest of the five Kage of his era.
- Kakashi Hatake has been considered a prime candidate for the position as Hokage by several characters. He would have been officially appointed as the Sixth Hokage if Tsunade hadn't woken up moments before hand.
- According to Asuma Sarutobi, his student Shikamaru Nara has the ability to become Hokage, but won't due to him being too lazy to want to.
- Orochimaru was once a prime candidate to be the Fourth Hokage, but due to his lust for power and lack of love for the village, the Third passed him over.
- After Orochimaru was passed over for this position, Hiruzen intended to choose Jiraiya to be the Fourth Hokage, but Jiraiya refused due to his journeys as an author and his quest to chase down the renegade Orochimaru. After Hiruzen and Minato died, Jiraiya was once again offered the position as the Fifth, but he once again rejected it. When Tsunade went into a coma, the Fire Daimyō commented how he would have liked Jiraiya to be the Sixth, but by that time Jiraiya had already died.
- Naruto Uzumaki was made Hokage for a week in the storyline of Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3. Might Guy was also made Hokage (Guykage as it was named) in the Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden spin-off.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 172, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 577, pages 1-2
- ↑ Naruto chapter 459, page 1
- ↑ Naruto chapter 625, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 520, page 11
- ↑ Naruto chapter 618, pages 13-17
- ↑ Naruto chapter 94, page 7
- ↑ First Databook, pages 117 and 265
- ↑ Naruto chapter 94, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 140, page 3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 367, pages 9-10
- ↑ Naruto chapter 450, page 15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 488, page 14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 488, pages 15-16
- ↑ Naruto chapter 328, page 8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 121, pages 6-7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 366, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 140, page 10
- ↑ Naruto chapter 450, page 14