Hokage-Style Sixty-Year-Old Technique — Kakuan Entering Society with Bliss-Bringing Hands
1 of 3
|Rōmaji||Hokage-Shiki Jijun Jutsu — Kakuan Nitten Suishu|
|Literal English||Hokage-Style Sixty-Year-Old Technique — Enclosed Hermitage Entering Society with Bliss-Bringing Hands|
|Viz manga||Hokage Style Elder Jutsu: Kakuan's Tenth Edict On Enlightenment|
|English TV||Hokage Style Elder Jutsu: Tenth Edict On Enlightenment|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #43|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja 5|
|OVA||Naruto Shippūden: UNSG anime cutscenes|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga and Game|
|Classification||Kekkei Genkai, Ninjutsu, Chakra Absorption Techniques|
|Hand seals||Boar → Dog → Bird → Monkey → Ram → Monkey → Tiger|
This technique utilises the power of the Wood Release to forcibly suppress a tailed beast's chakra. To invoke this technique, it is necessary for the tailed beast or its jinchūriki to be in the possession of the Crystal Gem (結晶石, kesshōseki) that responds to the First Hokage's chakra. Touching the chakra of the tailed beast with their hand, the user then suppresses the chakra inside an area lined with ten pillars.
Yamato also used this technique during Naruto's training to suppress the Nine-Tails' power. Here he produced the same "sit" (座, suwaru) kanji in his palm, but instead of creating spiked pillars, created wooden pillars which were engraved and had what resembled foo dog faces and lit wicks on top of them. By slamming his palm on the ground, the wooden statues will then rush towards the beast and absorb its chakra.
The last part of this technique's name, "Kakuan Nitten Suishu" (廓庵入鄽垂手), comes from a famous series of short poems and accompanying images, called the Ten Bull Pictures (十牛図, Jūgyū-zu; Chinese: Shíniú-tú). The pictures and poems are intended to illustrate the stages of Zen discipline.
They were drawn by a twelfth-century Chinese Zen master called Kuòān (廓庵, Japanese: Kakuan; Literally meaning "enclosed hermitage"). The tenth poem talks about how the fully-enlightened herdsman returns to the city to help others reach enlightenment. This poem is called Rùchán Chuíshǒu (入鄽垂手, Japanese: Nitten Suishu), which can be translated as "entering society with bliss-bringing hands" (i.e. hands that teach how to reach enlightenment).
- In an anime cutscene of Tobi's storyline in Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, it was shown that this technique restrained Kurama while the Contract Seal was used to release the fox from Madara Uchiha's control. However, in chapter 607, Madara stated that the wooden dragon was used to restrain the tailed beast.
- When Hashirama does this technique, he does the hand seals Rat, Snake, Rat, Ox, Tiger.
- After Naruto Uzumaki destroyed the gem in his six-tailed form, Yamato tried to suppress the fox chakra at the Falls of Truth, despite claiming earlier being unable to do so without the gem.
- It is possible that this technique can be used on persons who are not jinchūriki, as Yamato did with Kisame Hoshigaki on the Island Turtle, while he was confined to stocks which also had lit ends.
- It is possible that this technique is derived from the Rinnegan (Preta Path) as the Sharingan is derived from the Rinnegan as well.