Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
|Forums: Index → Help desk → Stop non-registered users making pages||Post|
I've noticed that the amount of new pages being created by non-registered users are being created purely for spam reasons. Maybe it would be a good idea to make it so non-registered users cannot make new pages? --speysider (talk) 16:04, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- I see your point, but there are still users who make valid new pages and contributions. I guess it's up to the admins to decide. ROBO731 (Talk) 16:46, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- A lot of the users I've seen marked as "A wikia contributor" don't make any useful edits and just vandalise the wiki with spam or incorrect information. Users who have actually registered and know about the Naruto series should be allowed to make meaningful contributions without having to clear up the mess of users who have no idea what they are talking about and are trying to vandalise the information here. As you say though, this is a decision that has to be made by the admins, just wanted to bring it to their attention. :) --speysider (talk) 16:49, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Preventing unregistered users from making edits defeats the purpose of a wiki. I do agree that a significant portion of unregistered user edits is bad, but some of that is due to lack of knowledge of inner workings of the wiki, not just ill-intent. That's why blocking and article protection exist. Omnibender - Talk - Contributions 16:59, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
I don't think we should stop them from creating articles, or editing, there are some that want to contribute positively but either don't want to create an account or as Omni said don't really know how the wikia works very well. I think our Admins are active enough for actions like that to be unnecessary.--Cerez365™ 17:10, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Something I don't understand is why you assume I also request that non-registered users shouldn't be allowed to edit articles. Nowhere have I mentioned this. I am merely requesting that users who don't have an account should be prevented from creating new article pages. Every page that has been created by "A wikia contributor" has been spam: the ability to create new articles should be left to those who've registered accounts imo as it is really easy for spambots to create pages for their spam or people creating pages for fanon or otherwise made up nonsense unrelated to Naruto canon. --speysider (talk) 17:13, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- It's not that always, some unregistered users create pages for game's technique ou other pages too. akz! 17:16, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- That's true, but the number of spam pages created is way higher than legitimate pages by non-registered users. This is based on the time I've been here, where I've seen only registered users creating legitimate pages and non-registered users making up the majority of useless spam content. Omnibender recently deleted a totally blatant spam page about a TV programme created by a non-registered user, hence the reason I decided to create this thread. --speysider (talk) 17:18, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Admins are always there to delete unwanted pages, and we are also there to tag them for deletion. akz! 17:22, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
I never assumed that, it was part of my train of thought so I added it. If you look carefully you'll see that I still said I'm against stopping them from creating pages because we have a healthy and active Sysop body and as such is unnecessary. I also doubt that they've only ever created spam pages when registered users do the same. Doing something like that will only segregate people and have them believe that the people here are even bigger elitist that they already think.--Cerez365™ 17:22, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Spams half the fun though.^^ --Cerez365™ 17:29, January 8, 2012 (UTC)