This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
| Forums: Index → Narutopedia Discussion|
Narutopedia Announcements → Quotes
I think it's about time we create a guideline to what is a valid quote to include into an article.
I see a pile of character articles with junk at the bottom titled "Quotes". They feature random things the character has said which have very little relevance to the character.
On top of that, they are often edited. I see piles of random people coming adding useless quotes, but not editing anything of value in the wiki. Even worse, they change existing quotes. Which makes me doubt if some of those quotes are actual quotes. But rather a sentence twisted which isn't actually the same wording used by the character, likely improved by someone who thought it would sound better. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) current discussion Sep 1, 2008 @ 20:23 (UTC)
- Yeah, they're pretty useless. But I don't think we can really find a universally working guideline, to whether or not a qute is relevant or not. I guess it's just too character-specific.
- btw, I like how Wookieepedia has occasinal quotes about the characters in question within their articles, though. It somehow flows really nice. I'd somewhat like to see something like that here, too. Wakalaka 11:39, 9 September 2008 (UTC)
I think the quotes are funny sometimes. They may not have relevance but if you're like me and you get bored and decide to read Narutopedia, an occasional funny quote is always good.
I've Edited the Kakashi Character page and I've added some quotes in his page, in the same way as they do on Wookiepedia and the Final Fantasy Wiki. I've checked the quotes and I know they are real ones. Unfortunatly I havn't read the Hunt for the Uchiha, Jiraiya's Death and Invasion of Pain arcs in the manga yet, so I havn't put any quotes in those arcs. I thought I would give it a go to see how it is, and I personally think it makes it run better when reading. If anyone else comes up with some quotes for those arcs, or some worth adding onto the other parts, such as the Invasion of Konoha arc as I couldn't find a really relevent quote for that one, then that would be just great. I havn't deleted the quotes section in case the page ends up being changed back again, also even if it isn't changed back, it would be a good place to put in some of the qoutes that aren't relevent to any part of the story. If it is an Idea that catches on, then that would be just great, however I won't be doing any more until someone else does, and If they do, I'll edit a few more characters, but not a lot.
I believe we should start referencing quotes to where or when they were first stated as it is becoming extremely hard to know where these quotes came from or where they were said. This is especialy so when there is no content in the listed quote. I'll use this as an example:
(Kabuto to Sasuke) "If you don't want to die you should watch your mouth." Chapter 238, pg 4
This way when one is added anyone can go and look it up to see if its true or not. With out listing where it came from a person would have to look up each and every scene that shows the two speaking to one another.--SuperN 15:57, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- My idea was actually to completely regulate addition of quotes. One of the biggest issues is that anyone can just add a quote with a reference and so many get added it's unlikely they'll even be confirmed.
- To be honest I also feel that we should exclude any quote that has not been officially translated into English yet. It's not exactly a "quote" when it's been modified by an unprofessional, unofficial group which most of the time will end up with something different than what the official translation is.
- I was actually thinking of setting up a Quotes: namespace, autoprotecting it, and replacing quotes sections within articles with a single Quotes template.
- Basically Quotes talk:''CharacterName'' would be used for people to point out new quotes with a reference to where it was used. Other users would check it over, confirm that it was used, it's not from a scanalation/fansub, and it has an actual point to being included.
- Then someone who can actually edit the page can add the quote and add it. ~NOTASTAFF Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire) (talk) Mar 19, 2009 @ 17:05 (UTC)
Quotes in Romanji (or Romaji)
I saw on the page for Tsuchikage Onoki that quotes in Romanji/Romaji have been put. I would suggest for each character to be like that (some of the fans might not know to read japanese etc, but might want to know how it sounds in Japanese:D I am one of them:P). - MadaraU (talk) 08:16, 22 July 2009 (UTC)