|This is the article on the ninjutsu used by Minato Namikaze. If you are looking for the article on the anime-only ninjutsu used by Fūka, head to Lightning Release: Lightning Rod.|
|Flying Thunder God Technique |
1 of 3
|Rōmaji||Hiraishin no Jutsu|
|Literal English||Flying Thunder God Technique|
|Viz manga||Flying Thunder God Jutsu|
|English TV||Flying Raijin Jutsu|
|Manga||Volume #27, Chapter #240|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #119|
|Movie||Naruto Shippūden 4: The Lost Tower|
|Game||Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3|
|OVA||Naruto Shippūden: UNSG anime cutscenes|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game, Movie|
|Classification||Ninjutsu, Space–Time Ninjutsu|
The Flying Thunder God Technique is a technique which allows the user to transport themselves to a given location in the blink of an eye.
To activate this technique, the user places a special seal or "technique formula" (術式, jutsu-shiki) to mark an intended destination. After this is done, they can enter a dimensional void at will that instantaneously transports them to the location of the seal. The mark can be applied to almost any area through brief physical contact, including an opponent or some other surrounding feature. The user, not limited to just their own body, can also use this technique to teleport other objects or people, such as when Minato used it to teleport Kurama out of Konohagakure, though the size of the object dictates the amount of chakra required.
Though much of his skills using the Flying Thunder God Technique has yet to be seen, Tobirama can teleport himself to a desired location within mere moments. He is also skilled enough to teleport not only himself, but another person along with him over some distance. Besides the Flying Thunder God Technique itself, Tobirama has been observed using the Flying Thunder God Slash — a derived technique that compliments his kenjutsu prowess by incorporating the Flying Thunder God Technique's instantaneous teleportation. With that technique, he was able to land a mortal wound on Izuna Uchiha.
Due to his exploits with this technique, Minato Namikaze gained the moniker of "Konoha's Yellow Flash" (木ノ葉の黄色い閃光, Konoha no Kiiroi Senkō). Minato most commonly applied the formula in advance to his special kunai, which he would scatter all over the battlefield when a fight commenced, so that they could be teleported to at any time. Using such tactics, Konohagakure even proved victorious in a battle against Iwagakure during the Third Shinobi World War, despite already being vastly outnumbered. By having his subordinates toss his special kunai randomly into the enemy's lines, Minato used the technique to appear within their ranks, using his great speed to seemingly be in several places at once and wipe out entire squadrons one by one before they could even react.
This technique, combined with Minato's immense natural speed and reflexes, according to A, made him the fastest ninja to ever live. The technique is fast enough to even allow Minato to escape being warped away, despite having already been partially sucked in, and dodge A's top-speed attack. Minato could also incorporate the formula into other seals, such as that of his wife, allowing him to come immediately to her aid at any time. Minato also has the ability to send people to different markings simultaneously through physical contact.
Hokage Guard Platoon
Minato passed this technique on to his special guards: Genma Shiranui, Raidō Namiashi, and another unknown Konoha shinobi. However, all three together are needed to execute the technique. To do so, they form a circle with one another by each performing the seal of confrontation with outstretched arms, so that their thumbs, middle and index fingers are touching those of the others. This allows them to transport both themselves and anything inside the confines of the ring to a marked destination. Since becoming the guards of the Fifth Hokage, Tsunade herself has also been marked with the technique formula.
- Although it is often compared with the Body Flicker Technique, the speed and range of this technique are much greater. In principle, this technique is instead more similar to the Summoning Technique, as it revolves around the manipulation of the space–time continuum rather than accelerated movement. However, instead of bringing something to the user, it sends them somewhere.
- The name Hiraishin is also the phonic of the Japanese word 避雷針, which means "lightning rod". This may suggest the reasoning as to why the technique is restricted towards a seal, because lightning is attracted to lightning rods.
- The technique can create smoke similar to a Summoning Technique, but that is not always the case.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Second Databook, page 266
- ↑ Naruto chapter 503, page 3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 543, page 2
- ↑ Naruto chapter 503, page 10
- ↑ Naruto chapter 627, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 624, page 11
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Naruto chapter 542, pages 13-14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 242, pages 4-5
- ↑ Naruto chapter 541, page 8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 502, page 10
- ↑ Naruto chapter 501, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 631, pages 8-9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 562, pages 12-13
- ↑ Naruto chapter 501, pages 6, 15