Fire Release (火遁, Katon; English TV "Fire Style") is one of the basic elemental nature transformations. It is performed by moulding superheated chakra inside the stomach before releasing it via the lungs and mouth. There are also variants to this in the form of some mediums such as the use of gun powder, ash, explosive tags and chakra flow into a weapon.
Commonly affiliated with the Tiger hand seal, Fire Release consists of mid to long-ranged offensive techniques that cause combustive and explosive damage. The art of having the flames obey the user's will is considered outrageously difficult. The chakra nature is common among shinobi of Konohagakure in the Land of Fire, notably with the Sarutobi clan and Uchiha clan, the latter having been noted to hold a natural affinity for it.
Amaterasu, a power only acquired through wielding the Mangekyō Sharingan, is stated to be the highest level of fire nature transformation. This powerful flame is a specialised form of Fire Release that Sasuke Uchiha refers to as Blaze Release (炎遁, Enton; English TV "Inferno Style"), which produce black flames (黒炎, Kokuen), utilised by him and his brother, Itachi Uchiha. This can be used in a variety of ways, though Sasuke has gone as far as to add shape transformation to the black flames, fashioning them into various weapons and defences. Besides being cast by means of Amaterasu, Sasuke can create this chakra nature with his Susanoo as well and even in his own palm. C stated that Sasuke manipulates the flames with his right Mangekyō Sharingan whereas he casts Amaterasu with his left.
Relationship with other Natures
- Fire is strong against wind because the air feeds the flames but weak against water because it cools and smothers them.
- Fire Release can be used in conjunction with Lightning Release to augment the latter by using the former to alter weather conditions with a sufficiently powerful technique.
- Additionally, it can be used with Wind Release to increase the strength of a fire technique and even overcome the superior element of water.
- In the anime, Fire Release was shown being used in conjunction with Earth Release.
- Fire-natured chakra is a component of the following kekkei genkai: Boil Release, Lava Release and Scorch Release.
- It is also a component of the kekkei tōta: Dust Release.
- Fire Release parallels the real-life ninja art "katon-no-jutsu". One example of real-life katon-no-jutsu is Hitsuke: the practice of distracting guards by starting a fire away from the ninja's planned point of entry.
- ↑ Naruto chapter 323, page 15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 657, page 15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 447, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 527, page 3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 5, page 8
- ↑ Second Databook, page 205
- ↑ Naruto chapter 223, page 9
- ↑ Third Databook, page 289
- ↑ Naruto chapter 464, page 6
- ↑ Naruto chapter 415, page 7-9
- ↑ Naruto chapter 574, page 10
- ↑ Naruto chapter 585, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 464, page 7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 391, pages 3-5
- ↑ Naruto chapter 336, page 12
- ↑ Naruto episode 69