|Literal English||Banana Palm Fan|
|Anime||Naruto Shippūden Episode #269|
|Game||Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game|
The Bashōsen (芭蕉扇, Literally meaning: Banana Palm Fan) is a large fan that is able to generate all five of the basic elemental chakra natures. To do so, the user need only say a mental command, which produces substantial amounts of the desired element when the fan is waved.
The Bashōsen is revered as one of the treasured tools of the Sage of the Six Paths. All five of the tools consume enormous amounts of chakra when used, so much so that normal humans would die after using the tools for only a short period of time. When the tools later came into the possession of Kumogakure, only the Gold and Silver Brothers had the large chakra reserves necessary to constantly wield the treasures without fatal repercussions. While not in use, Kinkaku had the fan stored within his own body, drawing it from his mouth when needed.
Kinkaku still possessed the Bashōsen when reincarnated by Kabuto Yakushi, but dropped it during battle against Darui. After Kinkaku was sealed away, Tenten found the Bashōsen, and used it in battle at least once — destroying Kakuzu's lightning-element mask — before collapsing due to its high chakra absorption.
- "Bashōsen" Coil of Fire
- "Bashōsen" Flurry of Wind
- "Bashōsen" Ruptures of Earth
- "Bashōsen" Surge of Lightning
- Both Ginkaku and Kinkaku's hair is styled in a manner similar to that of the appearance of fan.
- The Bashōsen is based on a tool from the Chinese classic "Journey to the West". In this story; there are two demon king brothers, known as the Great King Kinkaku (金角大王, Kinkaku-daiō) and the Great King Ginkaku (銀角大王, Ginkaku-daiō). The siblings possess five treasured tools, one of which is called the Banana Palm Fan (芭蕉扇, Bashōsen).
- On the cover of volume 7, Sasuke is seen holding a fan that faintly resembles this one.