|This is the article on the ninjutsu Amaterasu. For the Naruto: Shippūden episode, head to Amaterasu!.|
|Literal English||Heavenly Illumination|
|Manga||Volume #17, Naruto Chapter #148|
|Anime||Naruto Episode #85|
|Game||Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 2|
|OVA||Naruto Shippūden: UNSG anime cutscenes|
|Appears in||Anime, Manga, Game|
|Classification||Kekkei Genkai, Ninjutsu, Dōjutsu|
Amaterasu is a Mangekyō Sharingan dōjutsu, the highest level of Fire Release. Said to represent the "Material World and Light" (物質界と光, Busshitsukai to Hikari), Amaterasu is the antipode to Tsukuyomi.
Amaterasu produces black flames at the focal point of the user's vision. In most situations, this makes Amaterasu impossible to avoid. However, if the target can move fast enough to prevent being focused on, Amaterasu will miss them when it's cast. Once created, it can continue burning for seven days and seven nights. The flames cannot be extinguished with water or any other normal methods; only the user can put the flames out. Said to be "the fires from hell" and to burn as hot as the sun itself, Amaterasu burns any material — other flames included — until nothing but ash remains. Throughout the series some objects have shown some degree of imperviousness to the flames such as Gaara's chakra-infused sand, and Naruto's Version 1 chakra cloak.
Amaterasu does not ordinarily require hand seals to be performed, though Sasuke Uchiha once used the Tiger hand seal, which is common for fire techniques. This technique can also be sealed within the Sharingan of another person. Beyond mere offence, Amaterasu's flames can be used as a deterrent, with users surrounding themselves in its flames to discourage physical attacks.
Use of this technique puts a great deal of strain on the user, usually causing their eyes to bleed. For all its lethal potential, Amaterasu burns fairly slowly, allowing targets to remove burning clothes before their body is caught ablaze or, if it's too late for that, remove the burning body part(s) before it spreads. Other defensive options are pushing the flames away, absorbing them, certain space–time ninjutsu, or being the jinchūriki of the Ten-Tails. While impractical as a defence, Amaterasu can also be sealed.
Amaterasu, like Tsukuyomi and Susanoo, is a god in ancient Japanese myth and the Shintō religion. Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess, was born from the left eye of Izanagi when he performed the cleansing ritual after escaping the underworld.
- In the anime, Amaterasu was shown to be capable of burning through Yagura's Version 2 cloak, while in the manga, it couldn't burn Naruto's Version 1 cloak.
- Because of the ability of his right Mangekyō Sharingan, Sasuke can control and shape the flames of Amaterasu using Blaze Release: Kagutsuchi.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Second Databook, page 200
- ↑ Third Databook, page 289
- ↑ Naruto chapter 390, page 3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 463, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 391, page 5
- ↑ Naruto chapter 415, pages 7-8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 390, page 1
- ↑ Naruto chapter 464, page 12
- ↑ Naruto chapter 697, pages 6-7
- ↑ Naruto chapter 682, page 4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 397, pages 1-4
- ↑ Naruto chapter 463, page 15
- ↑ Naruto chapter 635, page 13
- ↑ Naruto chapter 550, page 14
- ↑ Naruto chapter 657, pages 2-3
- ↑ Naruto chapter 397, pages 2-8
- ↑ Naruto chapter 642, page 1-3
- ↑ Naruto: Shippūden episode 456
- ↑ Naruto chapter 697, page 6